If you are like us then you have multiple dietary needs to consider before gathering around your holiday table. We have so many different dietary restrictions among us that it could make a person crazy trying to cook for all of them which is why I love making recipes that can play multiple roles at meal-time, like this Thanksgiving Tian. This tian can function both as a beautiful, delicious side or in bigger portions, as a robust main dish for your vegetarian guests.
The tian is made up of some of my favorite fall produce; Russet and sweet potatoes, delicata squash, tart green apples, and leeks all cozy up next to each other in a citrus and thyme spiked custard. It will quite possibly be the most beautiful dish on your Thanksgiving table! I enlisted the help of my handy mandoline to get the veggies sliced perfectly thin - which coincidentally makes prepping for this dish super easy.
I know it's getting close to the big day, but I still have a few more recipes coming your way for Thanksgiving! Are you as ready for this holiday to get here as I am?!
- Yield: 6 as a main 8-10 as a side 1x
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 leeks, white and light green parts thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 delicata squash, ends removed and hollowed out
- 1 large unpeeled russet potatoes, scrubbed clean
- 1 large unpeeled sweet potato, scrubbed clean
- 3 small Granny Smith apples
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Leaves from 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- zest from 1 orange
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt to taste
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- Maldon salt
- thyme leaves
- Heat oil in a 9-inch cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add the sliced leeks and a generous sprinkle of kosher salt to the skillet. Cook for 5-8 minutes, stirring frequently, until the leeks are translucent. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more until fragrant. Remove from the heat, spread evenly in the bottom of the pan, and allow to cool.
- While the onion mixture is cooling use a mandoline to slice the delicata squash, russet potato, sweet potato, and apple into very thin slices that are about the same thickness as a potato chip. **Have a bowl of cold water ready to submerge the apple slices into so that they do not turn brown.**
- Starting at the outer edge of the skillet, with the cooled leeks on the bottom, make a pinwheel pattern with the squash, potato, and sweet potato slices working towards the center. Add an apple slice every fourth time the squash and potato pattern repeats. Repeat this process until the skillet is packed tight and filled to the center.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. In a mixing bowl whisk together the eggs, heavy cream, Parmesan, thyme leaves, orange zest, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper to taste until completely combined. Pour the egg mixture over the vegetables in the skillet allowing the mixture to settle into the vegetables.
- Bake in the preheated oven, covered with foil, for 40 minutes. Remove the foil and bake an additional 40-45 minutes until the vegetables are crisp on the outer edges and tender in the center, the custard is set, and the top is nicely browned. **To check if the vegetables are done carefully remove a thin slice of potato or sweet potato from the center of the pinwheel and taste to make sure it is cooked through.**
- Remove the tian from the oven when the vegetables are cooked through and allow to cool slightly. Sprinkle with more thyme leaves and Maldon salt flakes right before slicing to serve.
If the tops of your veggies aren't quite a s crispy as you want at the end of the bake time turn the broiler on for a few minutes- just watch the tian closely so it doesn't burn.
Philip Cepin says
Major thanks for the article post.Really looking lecture to to admittance more. want more.
check it out says
Thanksgiving Tian - This Mess is Ours http://shanarobola.com
Cara Daftar Sbobet says
Excellent article. I absolutely love this website. Keep writing!
Excellent article. I absolutely love this website. Keep writing!
Kristen Law says
I made this last year and it was a hit. This year I need to tweak for dietary needs: I have to use duck eggs and no dairy. Will let you know how it turns out. Also, I am slicing all veggies (not the apples) tonight and storing them in the fridge - hope it works. I just have too much to do tomorrow and worry about rushing through mandoline slicing 🙂
I am so glad everyone loved it last year!! I cannot wait to hear how it turns out dairy free with the duck eggs. I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
That comes from approximastely 32 million contractions within onne year.
If the cardiac muscle does not receive sufficient circulation, the end result ould bee a heart
attack. The price varies with all the materials used and iit is design which is
surely worth every dollar you spent.
A fascinating discussion is worth comment. I do think that you should write more about this subject, it may not be a taboo matter
but generally folks don't discuss these issues. To the next!
harga plakat says
This is a consideration which might give rise to the achievements yopur business.
Other thann being functional, they have also been used iin art and dsign through varioys metal
sculptures and wall arts foor exzmple a metal wall grille along with a wrought iron wall plaque.
The price varies while using materials used and it is design and it's aoso surely worgh
every dollar you spent.
malaysia girls says
I am really happy to glance at this blog posts which contains tons of
useful data, thanks for providing such information.
getrouwde Vrouw frans says
Dаn laat һij zijn vingers oνer mijn slipje glijden.
Garotas de Programa RJ says
VÍDEOS EXCLUSIVOS ~~>> ACESSO IMEDIATO!
map ijazah says
That comes from approximately 32 million contractions in just one
year. If the cardiac muscle does not receive sufficient circulation, tthe actual result can be quite a cardiac arrest.
There arre other foms of ligh therapy including photochemotherapy, UVB phototherapy and narrow-band UVB therapy.
If some one wants to be updated with latest technologies then he must be pay a quick visit
this website and be up to date daily.
Se alguém se interessar em pintura digital ou colorização de HQ, eu dou
esses cursos acessível.
harga piala says
This is a consideration which may give rise to the achievements your business.
Blockaage in the arteries is resonsible for many serious
conditions such aas heart attack orr stroke and plays a role
in all sorts of minor onnes such as fatigue, shortness
of breath, edema, and poor memory. We have the classic tape, you will find
the self-adhesive backed photo corner, dry picture mounting technique, wet mounting method and spray mounting technique.