Perfectly Roasted Christmas Potatoes
Look, I know we are about to break some rules here, but I vote that you ditch the mashed potatoes this holiday season and opt for a pan full of perfectly roasted Christmas potatoes.
I would have thought this idea blasphemous before I met my mashed potato hating husband too, but let me tell you these babies have actually become quite the holiday tradition at our table and no one is missing the mash.
Slicing the potatoes this way before you roast them causes them to fan apart leaving perfectly crisp edges and tender centers that practically melt in your mouth.
These babies just happen to fall into a category of recipes that I call “crossover recipes”. Just like crossover music blurs the lines of country and pop, crossover recipes blur the lines of breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Which basically means it doesn’t matter what meal of the day you serve these up, they are always a welcome addition to the family table!
- 2 pounds baby red potatoes, scrubbed clean
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- coarse kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425°.
- Wash and dry the potatoes then place them on a cutting board on their flattest side. Working one at a time place a potato between two chopsticks, this will prevent you from slicing all the way through. With a sharp knife, slice down from top until the knife makes contact with the chopsticks. Repeat the process creating thin slices all the way down the length of the potato. Do the same with the remaining potatoes.
- Arrange the Hasselbacked potatoes on a baking sheet, drizzle with half the olive oil and season with a generous amount of salt and pepper. Roast for 20 minutes, then remove from the oven and brush with the other half of the olive oil and roast for an additional 20 minutes until the slices are fanning apart and crisp on the edges while the potatoes are tender in the middle.
I may be border line obsessed with hasselbacked veggies, check out some of the other ways I serve them up:
This Orchard Inspired Holiday Salad just happens to feature these Perfectly Roasted Christmas Potatoes! Trust me when I say, that this one is a real show stopper!
I served this Vegan Hasselback Thanksgiving Tart at a little pre-Thanksgiving shin dig and it was met with ooh’s and aah’s!