Roasted Fall Salad
We finally had a little reprieve from the heat here in So Cal so I took the opportunity to roast every fall veggie I could get my hands on! I have been craving Brussels sprouts, delicata squash, and fingerling potatoes; so I roasted them all up and tossed them together in this delicious roasted fall salad.
Because of the intense heat here lately my fridge contents are sort of conflicting. I have tons of salad ingredients, homemade dressings, and fruit all sitting next to my favorite fall ingredients that haven’t yet had the opportunity to shine in my kitchen. So, during this brief break in the heat before the next heat wave hits this weekend I decided that I had to seize the moment and make a fall inspired dinner happen.
This salad hits every flavor craving I had all at one time and then goes beyond that with a fresh, tart, zing to the taste buds from the pomegranate and goat cheese sprinkles. It’s the perfect healthy fall meal…even when it’s 90° outside.
- 1 pound fingerling Yukon gold potatoes
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed & halved
- 1 delicata squash, ends removed, hollowed out, and cut into ½ inch thick rings
- 2½ tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste
- 5 ounces baby spinach
- ¼ cup pomegranate seeds
- ¼ cup goat cheese crumbles
- ¼ cup pomegranate vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly cracked pepper
- pinch of sugar
- ¾ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl toss the potatoes with ⅓ of the olive oil, salt and pepper. Spread onto ½ of one of the baking sheets. Toss the Brussels sprouts with ⅓ of the olive oil, salt and pepper and pour onto the baking sheet. Do the same with the delicata squash rings. Once all of the veggies are on the baking sheets on an even layer roast them in the oven, turning once for 30-35 minutes. Check the veggies close to the end of the coking time and remove smaller pieces that may be done before the larger ones. Once all of the veggies are cooked through allow them to cool slightly.
- Spread the spinach out onto a large platter and top with the roasted veggies. Sprinkle the pomegranate seeds and goat cheese. Serve immediately with the dressing on the side.
- In a mason jar combine the pomegranate vinegar, Dijon mustard, salt, pepper, sugar, and olive oil. Securely tighten the lid and shake the contents vigorously until emulsified.