It feels like yesterday I was sitting by the pool in Palm Springs shamelessly stuffing my face with this Elote Salad and Chamomile Citrus Palomas! When we booked the Air B&B for our trip there I was honestly as excited about the grill as I was the pool and hot tub. I planned most of our meals for the trip around that grill, and let me tell you it was a tasty!
By far, this elote salad was one of our favorite dishes of the trip! Todd, Eliza and I tore through gigantic plates of greens smothered in a decadent Mexican crema and cilantro dressing while Kash ate his grilled corn on the cob sans salad and dipped his feet in the pool.
There have been some pretty epic street corn inspired eats on this site in year’s past like my Grilled Mexican Street Corn Soup or the time we stuffed my Vegan Mexican Street Corn in Grilled Avocado Boats, but this one just might be my favorite, because that dressing is on point with its creamy-tangy self!
This salad also travels really well in a Mason jar for lunch at work or an impromptu picnic. I am including instructions for layering the salad into jars along with the recipe just in case you want to give it a whirl!
This salad packs really well into a mason jar for lunches at work. Simply layer ingredients starting with the dressing then the grilled corn, pickled red onions, greens and cheese. Don’t forget to pack a lime wedge in the top of the jar too!
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 35 mins
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- 4 ears of white or yellow corn, shucked
- olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
For the dressing
- 1 cup Mexican crema
- 1 medium-sized garlic clove, chopped
- 1 cup packed cilantro, leaves and stems are ok, roughly chopped
- juice of 1 juicy lime
- a few pinches of cayenne pepper, to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 heads Romaine lettuce, shredded
- 1 bunch Tuscan kale, shredded
- 1/2 cuplime-pickled red onions
- 1/2 cup crumbled Cotija cheese
- lime wedges
- Preheat a grill over medium-high heat.
- Drizzle each ear of corn with olive oil, salt, pepper and 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika. Rub the spices and the oil all over each ear of corn.
- Place the corn on the heated grill and cook, turning every 3 minutes for 10-15 minutes until the corn is charred and cooked through. Remove from the grill and set aside until cool enough to handle.
Meanwhile make the dressing
- In a high powered blender combine the crema, garlic, cilantro, lime juice, cayenne, salt and pepper. Blend until completely smooth then adjust seasonings to taste. Refrigerate until ready to build the salad.
- Strip the corn kernels from the cobs. In a large salad bowl toss together the lettuce and the kale. (You can add in some of the dressing now and toss well to combine or serve the dressing on the side like I did.) Top with pickled red onion, the stripped corn kernels, and Cotija cheese. Serve immediately with lime wedges on the side.
FOR A VEGAN VERSION:
Omit the Cotija cheese and serve with our Avocado & Cilantro Dressing instead.