Hands up if you drool over the Starbucks lemon loaf while you are standing in line for your morning latte…I know I sure do, that bright yellow cake topped with a thick layer of bright white vanilla icing is pretty much irresistible. Since Todd and Kash can’t indulge in Starbucks lemon loaf with me I decided to get to work and create a massive gluten free, bundt cake version spiked with poppy seeds so that we could all indulge for days!
This gluten free Meyer Lemon Poppy Seed Coffee Cake is packed with flavor, super moist and has a tender crumb. (Bet you never thought you would hear those descriptive terms about a gluten free cake!) It’s my go to bring along dessert when we are visiting friends and family during this magnificent citrus season and is ALWAYS a hit! Honestly, I quit telling people it is gluten free so they have no preconceived notions about how it will taste and have had nothing but requests for seconds.
Of course, you don’t need a special occasion to bake this cake – make it for you and your family as a scrumptious dessert or for a brilliant coffee cake to pair with your morning cup of coffee!
No bundt pan? Check out these Gluten-Free Lemonies instead!Print
- Melted butter for greasing pan
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 4 tablespoons full-fat coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon Meyer lemon zest
- ½ cup fresh squeezed Meyer lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon gluten – free vanilla extract
- 4½ cups blanched almond flour
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
For the glaze
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 3 tablespoons full fat canned coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons Meyer lemon zest
- 2–3 tablespoons fresh squeezed Meyer lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and adjust the rack to the middle position. Grease a bundt pan liberally with melted butter to ensure that the entire pan is well-coated. Set aside.
- Place the eggs and brown sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer. Mix on medium-high speed for 4-5 minutes until the mixture is paler in color. With the mixer running on medium speed, slowly add the cooled butter, coconut milk, Meyer lemon zest, juice and the vanilla extract. Mix until incorporated.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until combined. Pour the egg and sugar mixture over the flour mixture and fold until incorporated. Add the poppy seeds and fold until incorporated into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared bundt pan and bake for 45-50 minutes until the cake is golden brown and a cake tester inserted into the cake comes out clean. Cool completely in the pan on a wire rack, then invert onto a plate.
- To make the glaze combine the confectioners’ sugar, coconut milk, Meyer lemon juice and zest in a bowl and whisk until combined with no chunks of sugar remaining. Pour the glaze directly over the cooled cake or drizzle over the cake with a spoon. If the mixture is too thick to pour add more coconut milk 1 tablespoon at a time until the icing is pourable.