We have talked about veggie burgers A LOT around here, but I realized last week we hardly ever talk about the sides I dish up with them! Where has my head been? I say we change that starting with these crispy Parmesan & Polenta Oven Baked Sweet Potato Fries.
Oven baked fries of all types are currently on a regular rotation in our house. The fruit bandit is going through a major picky phase where he is convinced he hates all vegetables, but if the food you are trying to feed him resembles a french fry or a chip he will happily give it a try.
Burger night is my favorite night of the week – I can sneak all sorts of veggies into this dinner and the fruit bandit eats without debating with Todd and I. My newest burger creation that he is going crazy for are these Fully Loaded Black Bean Burgers (You can find that recipe over on the Massel website. )They are loaded with sweet potato, kale, walnuts and black beans for lots of vitamins and protein, but don’t tell my son that. All he needs to know is that they taste great!
The combination of crispy french fries and loaded burgers is a timeless classic that you really can’t beat. I like to serve mine with a Roasted Poblano and Cilantro Cashew Cream for dipping. The spicy cashew cream is a great contrast to the subtle sweetness of the fries. ( Oh man, it’s good on the burgers too!)Print
Parmesan & Polenta Oven Baked Sweet Potato Fries
Thee fries are really good topped with homemade chili and shredded cheese! Just be sure to eat then quickly after you top them or they will get soggy.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Total Time: 55 mins
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- 2 large sweet potatoes, scrubbed well
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons corn meal or polenta
- 4 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
Optional to serve
- Roasted Poblano and Cilantro Cashew Cream , recipe follows
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Fill a large mixing bowl with water and a clean towel for drying. Set aside.
- Cut each sweet potato lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick disks, then cut these disks lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick sticks. Try to keep your cuts uniform so the potatoes cook evenly. Place the fries in the bowl of water, agitating them in the water with your hands for 10-15 seconds so that some of the starch from the potato is removed. Place the potatoes on the clean towel and dry thoroughly before transferring to a gallon sized plastic storage bag.
- Drizzle the oil, over the sweet potatoes and seal the bag. Shake to completely coat the fries with oil then add the polenta, cheese, pepper and garlic powder into the bag with the potatoes and seal shut. Shake vigorously until the fries are coated with the mixture.
- Divide the fries between two parchment lined baking sheets making sure that they are not overlapping one another. Bake undisturbed for 30-40 minutes until golden brown and crispy.
Roasted Poblano and Cilantro Cashew Cream
This sauce is great on burgers and for dipping fries, but it’s also amazing on tacos, avocado toast, burrito bowls, and even poured over fresh baked enchiladas!
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 15 mins
- Yield: 1 1/2 - 2 cups 1x
- 1 1/2 cups raw unsalted cashews, soaked for 4 hours in cool water or 30 minutes in boiling water, drained and rinsed
- ¾ cup water
- 1 roasted poblano pepper
- 1 small garlic clove minced
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup minced red onion
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- salt, to taste
- Preheat the broiler.
- Place the poblano pepper on a small baking sheet under the broiler turning every 3-5 minutes until blistered on all sides. When it’s fully blistered and blackened, transfer the pepper to a bowl then cover with plastic wrap or a towel. Set aside for 10-15 minutes, until cool enough to handle. Use your fingers to slide off the skin and remove the stem and seeds. Blend the cashews, water, roasted poblano, garlic, cilantro, onion and lime juice in a high powered blender until completely smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides as necessary. Taste and adjust the seasonings to your liking.