Go ahead and throw on your comfy pants, set your Netflix to binge and whip up a big pot of comfort food at its finest. I think you deserve it!
I give you my slightly tweaked version of my dad’s hella delicious One Pot Taco Soup.
Let’s grab a spoon and dive in shall we…
This week has been tough – Todd’s traveling again, David Bowie passed away and the entire world seems like it is going to implode. I need a big face full of comfort food and I need it fast! Sure it won’t change anything, but at least my taste buds and my tummy won’t suffer!
I don’t know about you, but for me comfort food is just better served in a bowl – it has the amazing ability to warm both the hands and the heart just when you need it most. Sometimes it’s sweet, sometimes it’s indulgent, but sometimes it just reminds you of home.
This soup reminds me of home – My dad is a true southern boy born and raised. He loves to fish, drives a big truck with his dog by his side and knows a thing or two about comfort food. Whenever we all get together he whip’s up this one pot wonder of a dinner for us. It’s shockingly delicious, completely customizable and it feeds a hangry crowd fast!
I’m pretty sure that with my parents hectic job of running two bakeries they pretty much exist off of this soup, but still after eating it on the regular they both say it always hits the spot and just gets better when it comes to the leftovers.
Topping the soup is completely up to your own taste, but I must say that this combo is pretty epic (as far as soup toppings go). The freshly grated Manchego cheese, minced red onion, thin slices of hot chile, Greek yogurt spiked with lime zest & Cholula all topped with cilantro and a squeeze of lime – it’s a big bowl of yum that i can’t wait to sink my teeth into again!Print
This soup makes a lot, but is perfect for freezing and eating later!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 1/2 cup cooked brown lentils
- 1 (1-ounce) package gluten free ranch seasoning
- 1 (1-ounce) package gluten free taco seasoning or homemade
- 1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, undrained
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, undrained
- 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, undrained
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes with chilies (Rotel works great)
- 2 cubes Massel Ultracube Bouillon Cubes, beef flavor dissolved in 2 cups hot water or 2 cups gluten free vegetable stock of choice
- shredded Manchego cheese
- minced red onion
- sliced chili pepper
- lime wedges
- 1 cup Greek yogurt + zest of 1 lime, stirred together
- hot sauce
- In a large soup pot heat the olive oil over medium heat, add the onions and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the cooked lentils, ranch and taco seasoning packets and stir to combine.
- Add the pinto beans, black beans, kidney beans and their juices along with the frozen corn, crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes with chilies, and stock. Stir to combine. Raise the heat and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling reduce to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes. Serve with desired toppings.