These pistachio logs are so good you might want to make a double batch. They are tender and flaky with a rich, nutty flavor that is just perfect for the holidays.
Crumbled toasted pistachios not only enrobe the outside of this cookie, but they are also mixed into the batter. Ever since I made the Lemon Pistachio Cake from The Homemade Flour Cookbook I have been putting pistachios in all sorts of recipes so, naturally a Christmas cookie was a no brainer.
If pistachios aren’t your thing you can substitute equal amounts of toasted pecans and the cookies will be totally amazing! Or maybe you should make a batch of each then you will have plenty to share.
- 2 cups shelled, raw, unsalted pistachios, toasted
- 2 1/2 cups gluten free all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Process the pistachios in a food processor until finely ground; set aside. Do not over process or they will become paste.
- Combine the gluten free all purpose flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl and combine with a whisk. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment combine the butter and sugar; mix on medium speed until pale and fluffy, around 2 minutes. Add the egg and vanilla; and mix until just combined. Reduce the speed to low and mix in the flour mixture and half of the pistachios; mix until just combined. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes until the dough is cold and slightly firm.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Roll tablespoons of dough in between the palms of your hands to form 2-inch long logs. Roll the logs in the remaining pistachios. Place onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper leaving approximately and inch between each cookie. Bake cookies, rotating the pans halfway through, until pale golden and slightly cracked, about 14-15 minutes. Transfer the logs to wire racks to cool. Cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for 2 – 3 days.
To toast the pistachios spread them out in an even layer on a rimmed baking sheet and bake at 350°F, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, about 10 minutes.