It’s officially salad season! Not that you couldn’t & shouldn’t eat salad all year long, but when the summer heat wave hits I start craving gigantic bowls of greens and garden fresh veggies more than ever. This Grilled Avocado and Kale Chopped Salad totally hits the spot and makes summer dinners a cinch!
Today we are proud to be teaming up with the great folks at Taylor Farms to show you how easy it is to turn their chopped salad kits into a delicious, satisfying meal that will knock the socks off of everyone at your table this summer. I am totally smitten with Taylor Farm’s Kale Chopped Salad Kit; it’s loaded with tender kale, shaved Brussels sprouts, and radicchio. It’s the perfect base for all of my favorite summer produce and the creamy lemon vinaigrette that comes in the kit is amazing; it tastes just like homemade dressing.
I chose to top my leafy green salad with smoky grilled avocados, homemade coconut bacon, citrus pickled onions, chile lime walnuts and a heavy scattering of baby heirloom tomatoes. All of those tasty little bits and bobs nestle themselves into the greens making each and every bite of this salad pop with flavor!
Those grilled avocados though, they are the stuff that summer dreams are made of. I grilled avocados for the first time last year and after one bite I knew I was going to be hooked! I love their smoky flavor and how versatile they are in the kitchen. You can stuff them, toss them in salads, layer them in tacos – the possibilities are endless.
This Grilled Avocado and Kale Chopped Salad totally hits the spot and makes a spectacular supper salad for those hot summer nights in just about 30 minutes.
If you’ve made this Grilled Avocado and Kale Chopped Salad or any other recipe on our site then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know what you thought in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, TWITTER, and PINTEREST to see more delicious food, design, and decor.Print
For the citrus pickled onions
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced red onions
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- pinch of coarse sea salt
For the chile-lime walnuts
- 1 cup raw walnuts
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Tajin chile and lime seasoning
- 1 teaspoon flaky or coarse sea salt
For the avocados
- 3 avocados, sliced in half and pit removed
- olive oil
- 2 limes, juiced
- coarse sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
Assemble the salad
- 2 packages Taylor Farms Kale Chopped Salad Kit, omit the crouton packet if gluten free
- 1 cup baby heirloom tomatoes, halved
- 1 batch citrus pickled onions
- 1 batch chile lime walnuts
- 1/3 cup – 1/2 cup coconut bacon
- 6 grilled avocado halves
- 1 lemon, sliced into wedges
Prep the citrus pickled onions
- Place the sliced onions in a shallow bowl, pour the lime over the onions and sprinkle with sea salt. Stir well then let marinate for at least 20 minutes then drain the liquid.
Roast the walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 325°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the walnuts onto the prepared baking sheet and toss with olive oil, Tajin and sea salt. Roast in the oven 5-8 minutes stirring once.
Grill the avocados
- Lightly oil a grill pan and place it over medium heat.
- Brush the avocado halves lightly with olive oil and drizzle with the lime juice. Season with salt and pepper. Place the avocados flesh side down on the preheated grill and cook for 5 minutes, or until they have nice dark grill marks. Remove from the heat and set aside.
Assemble the salad
- Arrange theTaylor Farms Kale Chopped Saladgreens on a large platter. Sprinkle the cheese packets, tomato halves, pickled onions, chile lime walnuts and coconut bacon over the top.
- Nestle the avocado halves into the salad and place the lemon wedges around the outside of the platter.
- Serve immediately with the lemon vinaigrette from the salad kit.