Pizza meet elote, elote meet pizza. It's official, two of my favorite eats on the planet have come together to make one incredibly delicious summer treat, Grilled Mexican Street Corn Pizza. I plan on indulging myself with this elote recipe all summer long!
Oh yes friend, I jumped the gun and broke out my grill pre-Memorial Day weekend. I couldn't help it; I had Mexican street corn on the brain and the only way to curb that craving was to give in to it!
Corn is my favorite veggie to throw on the grill, I unapologetically eat my weight in it during the summer months. I make a ton of it at once and keep the extras in the fridge for whenever the mood strikes. Grilled corn on the cob is a perfect afternoon snack for the kids and when you strip the kernels from the cob you can toss them in practically any dish your heart desires from pasta to salads and even pizza!
This elote and pizza mashup recipe is just dreamy!
I love this recipe for elote pizza for so many reasons; obviously the grilled corn, the dreamy cilantro pistachio pesto that my Mother in Law recently introduced me to, and how fast and easy these are to make, especially if you prep the ingredients in advance.
My daughter and I are hooked on Flatout's Artisan Thin Pizza Crust. We keep them on hand for easy snacks and quick dinners that literally come together in under 10-minutes and for our gluten-free boys in the house, I simply substitute Flatout's Artisan Pizza Crust for their Gluten Free Wraps. They are perfect for this elote and pizza recipe mashup. Easy-peasy, quick summer meals thanks to my grill that inspires me to fill my fridge with grilled summer veggies at all times and Flatout!
If you’ve tried this Grilled Mexican Street Corn Pizza Recipe, I would be so grateful if you would rate it. Let me know what you think in the comments below. I just love hearing from you, and your reviews and comments really help others that visit This Mess is Ours!Print
Grilled Mexican Street Corn Pizza
Don't just use the pesto in this recipe for pizza! Toss it with pasta, spread it on bread and top with Monterey jack cheese then toast it all up for a killer Tex-Mex take on grilled cheese, or roast baby potatoes then toss them with the pesto while they're still piping hot. Literally, anything goes here!
Don’t forget to rate the recipe, and let me know what you think about this Grilled Mexican Street Corn Pizza in the comments below. I just love hearing from you. Your reviews/comments really help other people that visit This Mess is Ours!
- Yield: 4 pizzas 1x
For the cilantro pistachio pesto
- 2 packed cups fresh cilantro, leaves, and tender stems; more for serving
- ½ cup olive oil; more as needed
- ⅓ cup roasted salted pistachios, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 medium clove garlic, roughly chopped
- ¾ teaspoons kosher salt
For the citrus pickled red onion and jalapeño
- 1 cup very thinly sliced red onions, I use a mandoline slicer
- 1 jalapeño sliced very thin, I use a mandoline slicer for this also
- ¾ cup freshly squeezed lime juice
For the pizzas
- 3 ears of corn, husks, and silks removed
- 1 poblano pepper
- olive oil
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 4 Flatout Artisan Thin Pizza Crust or Flatout Gluten Free Wraps
- 1 batch citrus pickled red onion and jalapeño
- 1 cup cotija cheese
- Optional garnishes: sliced avocado, cilantro leaves, pepitas, sour cream drizzle
Make the pesto
- Combine the cilantro leaves, olive oil, pistachios, lime juice, garlic, and salt in a food processor and purée until smooth. This pesto can be made up to 2 days in advance and stored in the fridge in an airtight container.
Make the citrus pickled red onion and jalapeño
- Place the onion and jalapeño slices in a glass or non-reactive, storage container with a lid that fits very tight. Add the lime juice to the container, cover and shake well to make sure that all of the onions are coated. Allow to sit and pickle at room temperature for 15 - 20 minutes. These pickles can be made up to 2 days in advance and stored in the fridge in an airtight container.
Grill the veggies
- Preheat a grill to approx 450°F or a grill pan over medium-high heat. Grill the poblanos, turning occasionally until blackened and tender, about 12 minutes. Rub the corn with olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste then grill the corn, turning occasionally until charred in places, about 10-15 minutes.
- Transfer the poblanos to a bowl, cover, and let sit until cool enough to handle. Transfer the corn to a cutting board until cool enough to handle. Once cool cut the kernels from the cob with a serrated knife.
- Rub off the blackened poblano skins with a paper towel, remove the stems and seeds, then cut into a small dice.
Build the pizzas
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Place the Flatout Artisan Thin Pizza Crust's or Flatout Gluten Free Wraps directly on the rack of the preheated oven for 2 minutes. Remove the flatbreads from the oven then spread a few tablespoons of pesto on each. Then divide the corn kernels, diced poblanos between the flatbreads. Top with pickled red onions and jalapeños to taste, then crumble ¼ of the cotija cheese over each pizza. Place back in the oven and back for 3 minutes more until the cheese is beginning to melt and the crust is golden. ***Keep a close eye on the gluten-free wraps they tend to crisp up faster than the pizza crust does. ***
- Once cooked through top the pizzas with the desired garnishes and serve immediately.
This post is sponsored by Flatout, and we received compensation and product in exchange for it. Opinions are always our own. If we don’t love it, you don't hear about it. Thanks for your continued support!
Want to be a part of our online community outside of the blog? It’s easy!! All you have to do is follow @THISMESSISOURS on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, TWITTER, YOUTUBE, or PINTEREST to see cooking demos and peeks into our day to day life.
What are the health benefits of corn?
Corn is a low fat, gluten free cereal grain that contains a good amount of fiber and protein. It also boasts several different nutrients like Vitamin B6 and potassium. Corn helps to improve heart health and regulate blood pressure.
Click here for more information on the health benefits of corn.
Leave a Reply