Cacio e Pepe Popcorn
I’m a total snackaholic which is probably why I suck at remembering to eat lunch. Sure some days I saddle up for lunch at a local restaurant with my girlfriends, but most days lunch is more of a combination of small bites. I have an arsenal of snack options on hand at all times like hummus and crackers, mixed nuts and yogurt. My favorite snack though is homemade popcorn, there just aren’t many foods that can compete with a heaping bowl of warm from the stove popcorn!
Lately, I have been taking popcorn inspiration from one of my favorite pasta dishes, cacio e pepe, which literally translates to cheese and pepper. Seriously, if there ever was a minimalist snack this would be it, but don’t take it’s nominal ingredient list for lack of flavor – this popcorn is next level.
Can’t eat corn? I bet you this little flavor bomb would be incredible with amaranth popcorn too! Print
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup organic popcorn kernels
- fine sea salt, to taste
- 1/3 cup finely grated Parmesan or Pecorino cheese
- 1/2 – 1 tablespoon freshly ground black black pepper
- Heat the oil and popcorn in a large, deep metal pot over high heat. Have the pot lid ready!! When the first kernels of popcorn begin to pop cover with the lid and slide the pan around vigorously over the heat to move the kernels in the pan. Listen for the popping to slow then remove from the heat.
- If the pan fills up before the kernels are finished popping simply transfer some of the popped corn to a large bowl, replace the lid and move the pan back over the heat until all of the popcorn is popped. Set aside.
- Transfer the popcorn to a large mixing bowl, season with salt to taste then add Parmesan and pepper. Toss to combine. Serve immediately.