No Meyer lemons on hand? Try this recipe with oranges and orange bitters instead!
For the Meyer lemon simple syrup
- Zest from 2 Meyer lemons, removed in strips with a vegetable peeler
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
For the cocktails
- 1/2 of a Meyer lemon, cut in half again
- 1/4 cup mint sprigs (about a small handful )
- 2 ounces Meyer lemon simple syrup
- Meyer lemon bitters
- 4 ounces bourbon
- ice, preferably small cubes or crushed
- mint for garnish
Make the syrup
- Bring the Meyer lemon zest, sugar and water to a boil in a small saucepan, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Let cool, cover and chill for at least 2 hours. Strain into a small jar or bowl and discard the zest.
Make the cocktails
- For each cocktail place 1 wedge of Meyer lemon, 1/2 of the mint sprigs, 1 ounce Meyer lemon simple syrup and a few dashes of bitters in a double Old Fashioned glass. Muddle well to release juices. Then add 2 ounces of bourbon to each glass and stir to combine. Fill the glasses with ice and garnish with mint.