As you may already know I grew up in Alabama. Down south we have lots of traditions and superstitions for pretty much all of the holidays and New Year’s is no different. When I was growing up we feasted on black eyed peas at the start of every year because they are thought to bring prosperity in the year to come. Truth be told, I’m not a huge fan of black eyed peas straight up, but when you wiz them up into a smoky black eyed pea hummus like this I am totally on board!
While this dip is great on its own, it is a real superstar in our Collard Greens and Black-Eyed Pea Hummus Tostadas!!Print
Smoky Black Eyed Pea Hummus
We love this spread served with crackers, but it is straight up magical as a schmear for sandwiches or on top of a tostada with our jammy Instant Pot Collard Greens!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 0 mins
- Total Time: 10 mins
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Sides
- Method: Blended
- Cuisine: Southern
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 1/2 cups cooked blacked eyed peas, drained
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- olive oil for drizzling, paprika, red pepper flakes, Maldon sea salt, and black pepper.
- Place the garlic in the bowl of a food processor or a high powered blender and process until finely chopped. Add the black-eyed peas, extra-virgin olive oil, tahini, lemon juice, smoked paprika, salt; and black pepper. Process until smooth.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and drizzle with a bit more olive oil then sprinkle with paprika, red pepper flakes, Maldon sea salt, and black pepper for garnish.
If using canned black eyed peas you will need to drain and rinse 2 (15-ounce) cans. Be sure that the canned black eyed peas you purchase are unseasoned.