There is nothing that I love more than farm fresh eggs – ok, maybe there are a few things that I love more, like my family, but when it comes to easy breakfasts, fast filling lunches and hearty dinners – eggs are one of my all-time favorite ingredients to cook with! Case in point, this Easy Verde Shakshuka. The base of this recipe starts with my spicy vegan green pozole. It is easily one of my family’s favorite fall meals – and I love that it is a cook once – eat twice type of situation for me too!
Today a fantastic group of bloggers are coming together to celebrate mamma to be Ashley of the blog Edible Perspective by sharing our favorite breakfast recipes. I know Ashley is as big of a fan of farm fresh eggs as I am, so I just couldn’t resist sharing this Tex-Mex take on of my all-time favorite egg recipes, shakshuka.
Now, I know what you are thinking, shakshuka is traditionally thought of as a dinner dish. I however, think of it as a cross over meal – much like a cross over country song that blurs the lines and soars the pop music charts. This meal is a welcome sight at our table morning, noon and night!Print
This recipe is great for feeding a crowd, but you can also easily decrease the amount of pozole and eggs for single servings too.
- Yield: 4 1x
- 5 cups leftover vegan green pozole
- 1/2 cup crumbled cotija cheese
- 5 eggs
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 1 avocado, sliced thin
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and lightly grease a baking dish.
- Add the prepared vegan green pozole to a deep skillet or a baking dish that can go from the stove to the oven. Heat the pozole over medium-high heat until simmering. Sprinkle cotija cheese over the top. Make an indention in the pozole with the back of a spoon and gently break an egg into the indention. Repeat with the remaining eggs. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10-15 minutes until eggs are cooked to the desired consistency. (This time will vary slightly depending on whether the pozole is hot or cold when you start the recipe.)
- Top with cilantro and avocado slices then serve immediately with gluten free baguette slices or toast.
Hungry for more delicious breakfast recipes?! Check out the other blogs taking a part in today’s #ediblebabybash festivities for some seriously delicious brekkie inspiration!