In the past I have declared my utter dislike of all things pickled , but I think it is time for me to retract those statements. I have recently learned that I really only have a dislike for dill pickles. Yay me!!!
I have found that I am a HUGE fan of homemade giardiniera. I actually made a gigantic jar of it at the beginning of the summer and have been adding it to salads, sandwiches and rice bowls ever since.
Recently I decided to try quick pickling larger versions of my favorite giardiniera veggies and roasting them! Trust me when I say that this epic side dish is perfect for your Sunday dinner or even this year’s holiday feast. Don’t be intimidated by the hour prep time, only 30 minutes of it is active and the other half hour is marinating time.
I promise that these crispy charred veggies with their slightly sour pickled twang will have your family and guests raving!Print
Leftover giardiniera roasted veggies are great chopped up into rice bowls with lentils, dipped into hummus and even sprinkled over salads. You literally can’t go wrong! Pour the leftover brine over sliced jalapenos and carrots or thin slices of delicata squash for an amazing batch of pickles!
- 1 lb carrots, peeled and halved lengthwise
- 1 large fennel bulb, trimmed and cut into wedges
- 1/2 lb cauliflower florets
- 2 cups water
- 1 quart distilled white vinegar
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard seeds
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 1 jalapeno, halved lengthwise
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 jarred roasted red bell peppers, sliced thin
- 2 celery ribs, chopped very fine
- 1/2 cup pitted green olives
- 1/4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- Combine the carrots, fennel and cauliflower in a large heatproof bowl.
- In a medium saucepan combine the water, vinegar, garlic, mustard seeds, sugar, 1/4 cup salt and half of the jalapeno, Gently warm over low heat, stirring to dissolve the salt and sugar. Once dissolved pour the brine over the carrots, fennel and cauliflower; marinate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Remove the vegetables from the brine ( save the brine and pickle other veggies later) and divide them between 2 baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Drizzle the oil over the veggies and roast for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally until tender and caramelized.
- Meanwhile, finely chop the remaining jalapeno half and toss it in a bowl with the roasted red pepper strips, celery, green olives and parsley. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- When the vegetables are done roasting arrange them on a platter then top with the red bell pepper mixture.
Inspired by Food & Wine