Got 30 minutes of free time? That is how much time you need to make this gluten free roasted garlic naan recipe and believe me it is worth it! This garlicky naan bread recipe is the stuff your gluten free dreams are made of friend and I cannot wait for you to try it!
I have been mixing and matching naan flavors for the last few weeks and let me tell you – I’m in love! We even photographed a crispy shallot flavored version of this gluten free roasted garlic naan for GFF Magazine, it is that good!!!
This naan is perfectly chewy on the outside while being soft and tender on the inside. It’s a total weeknight warrior that you need to have in your repertoire!Print
Gluten Free Roasted Garlic Naan
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 12 mins
- Total Time: 32 minutes
- Yield: 6-7 pieces 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 1/2 cup water at 110°F
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 3/4 cup superfine brown rice flour
- 3/4 cup superfine sweet rice flour
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons potato starch, plus more for dusting board
- 2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 head roasted garlic, cloves mashed into a paste
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- butter or ghee for frying naan and for brushing the tops of the naan after cooking
- Combine the warm water and the honey in a mixing bowl, stir to dissolve; add yeast and stir again. Set aside for 5 minutes until the mixture is foaming and frothy. (if your yeast doesn’t bloom and get frothy start over with fresh yeast.)
- In a separate mixing bowl combine the rice flours, cornstarch, potato starch, xanthan gum, salt and baking powder. Whisk well.
- To the yeast mixture add the roasted garlic paste, buttermilk and olive oil. Whisk well to combine.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir to combine with a rubber spatula. The mixture will be thick and shaggy, a lot like mashed potatoes. Set aside to rest for 20 minutes.
- Heat a cast iron skillet or griddle over medium high heat.
- Lightly dust a clean, flat surface with potato starch. Scoop out 1/4 – 1/3 cup-fulls of dough onto the surface. Roll gently in the potato starch then press out into a flat round disc with the palm of your hand. Complete with the remaining dough.
- Melt a small pat of butter in the pan then one at a time place a round of dough onto the hot pan. Starting in the center of the dough quickly use your finger tips to press dimples into the surface of the dough and cook for 2 minutes – 2 1/2 minutes then flip an cook another 2 minutes. Depending on how hot your griddle is you may need to add a minute or two to the cook time to ensure that the naan is as golden as desired.
To make crispy shallot naan: Omit roasted garlic. Scatter very thinly sliced rings of shallot into the melted butter in the frying pan before placing the naan bread on top.
Keywords: naan, roasted garlic garlic, gluten free naan