We start school next week and while I seem to have had all of my ducks in a row for some time now when it comes to the kid’s lunches I honestly hadn’t given much thought to what I was going to make for them for easy, healthy on-the-go breakfasts. So, I hopped in the kitchen last weekend and came up with these delicious apple muffins that are packed with protein and not packed with tons of sugar.
These delicious muffins are made with a blend of teff, white rice flour, nut flour, and oats then topped with almonds, pistachios, and pecans which all come together for a protein punch that will keep our kids going all day long!
Instead of loading the muffins up with sugar and setting our kids up for a midday crash I lightly sweetened these muffins with Pyure Organic Stevia. Trust me, no one even noticed because Pyure’s unique formulation only uses the sweetest part of the Stevia leaf.
Pyure is easy to use, great for baking and beverages, or for any recipe that needs a little sweetness! Pyure is organic, Non-GMO, sugar free, calorie free, vegan, gluten free, which makes this mama really happy!Print
Power Up Apple Protein Muffins
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 40 mins
- Yield: 1 dozen muffins 1x
- ½ cup teff flour
- ½ cup superfine sweet white rice flour
- ½ cup mixed nut flour or almond meal
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup gluten free oats
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 cup Pyure Organic Stevia
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup peeled and finely shredded Fuji apple
For the ginger nut crumble
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup raw pecan pieces
- 1/4 cup raw pistachios
- 1 heaping tablespoon candied ginger bits
Make the ginger nut crumble.
- Combine the almonds, pecans, and pistachios in a food processor fitted with the “S” blade. Pulse until all of the nuts are broken down and are similar in size. Set aside.
Make the muffins
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line a muffin pan with liners, set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, cornstarch, oats, cinnamon, baking powder, xanthin gum, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the eggs and Pyure Organic Stevia. Add the melted butter, buttermilk, vanilla and applesauce, whisk to combine.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and whisk just until no lumps remain. Fold in the shredded apple.
- Use an ice cream scoop to evenly scoop batter into the prepared muffin cups. Scoop 1/2 tablespoon of the ginger nut crumble over each of the muffins.
- Bake for 20 minutes until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Remove and cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.
This post is sponsored by Pyure, and we received compensation and product in exchange for it. Opinions are always our own. If we don’t love it, you don’t hear about it. Thanks for your continued support!