Huevos Rancheros Breakfast Salad
Breakfast salads are all the rage these days and we can totally see why! Not only are they a bright and vibrant way to start the day, but they’re also good for you, taste great, and don’t weigh you down. We have been chomping at the bit to jump on this food trend and just couldn’t wait any longer to share this new recipe with you so that you can really wow everyone at your Easter brunch table. I give you the irresistible Huevos Rancheros Breakfast Salad!
We tend to do brunch on the holiday’s with our family more than elaborate sit-down lunches, but even though brunch fare is way easier to prepare I still don’t want to be stuck in the kitchen while everyone else sips on mimosas and hangs out. So, we designed this salad with ease of the host in mind.
The base of this salad starts with one of my family’s favorite Taylor Farm’s Chef Crafted Salads, Southwestern Crunch. This particular flavor hits all the right notes when it comes to Mexican eats. Crisp Romaine lettuce, red cabbage, and carrots for a bit of crunch, along with cilantro and green onions for a flavor punch. I mean seriously, doesn’t that just scream “top me with some salsa and a crispy frizzled egg!!”?
Speaking of salsa, this one is my go-to, make ahead, pico recipe mixed with a can of black beans for protein. See what I mean about easy?! The salad is done for you, the salsa can be made a day in advance, and all you have left to do is slice a few limes and an avocado then cook up those irresistible frizzled eggs. I mean seriously, you can do all that with a mimosa in one hand!
What are frizzled eggs? … I am so glad you asked! Frizzled eggs aren’t just your standard run of the mill sunny side up egg. Oh no, these babies are quickly fried in a bath of screaming hot olive oil creating crispy edges around the egg white while leaving the yolks perfectly runny. Trust me, you may never go back to regular fried eggs again! Now you may have noticed I haven’t mentioned a dressing for this salad at all. Well, friend, that’s because the combination of that runny yolk and the juices from the salsa make the dreamiest dressing all by themselves, so no extra work from you.
Since it is a holiday and all we thought there should be special drinks, so we’re whipping up a big batch of Power Greens Smoothies. These smoothies are loaded with lots of good for you ingredients like greens, pineapple, banana, green grapes, and milk.
We love this salad as is, but it is also great with crispy bacon bits scattered over the top for all of you meat lovers!
- 3 Roma tomatoes, seeds, and core removed, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely diced red onion
- 1 jalapeno, seeds and ribs removed, finely diced
- 1/2 cup cilantro, minced
- 1 garlic clove, grated on a Microplane
- 2 limes, 1 juiced and 1 cut into wedges
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 Southwestern Crunch Taylor Farms Chef Crafted Salad
- 1 avocado, pit removed, peeled and sliced thin
- 3-4 eggs, 1 egg per person
- 1-2 teaspoons olive oil
- Tortilla chips, any brand you like will work
- In a mixing bowl combine the tomatoes, red onion, jalapeno, cilantro, garlic, and lime juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add the black beans to the bowl and stir to combine. Set aside.
- On a large serving platter arrange the Southwestern Crunch Taylor Farms Chef Crafted Salad. Layer the slices of avocado on top then squeeze one of the lime wedges over the avocado to prevent it from turning brown. Scoop the prepared salsa over the greens. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Crack the eggs over the pan and cook for 3 minutes until the whites are set and the edges are golden and crispy. Remove the pan from the heat. Place the eggs on top of the salad then garnish with lime wedges and tortilla chips.
This post is sponsored by Taylor Farms, and we received compensation and product in exchange for it. Opinions are always our own. If we don’t love it, you don’t hear about it. Thanks for your continued support!