I LOVE pesto! Last summer I posted my recipe for Pignoli Pesto, it is definitely my favorite when fresh basil is in abundance. In the winter months, however I prefer to make this tomato based pesto it is really simple, quick to make, and delicious! I included two versions for you in the instructions below and either way this pesto is spectacular. Todd and I would normally prefer the chunkier pesto; it is full of color and texture, which we both love! However this week is different because our little one has come down with the dreaded RSV bug that is going around and we are catering to him. He prefers smooth sauces to chunky versions any day of the week and at this point, I will make just about anything, in any way he wants just to get him to eat. The next 2 weeks while he recovers from this sickness will definitely be full of lots of cuddling, tons of movies, puzzles on the iPad, and super easy dinners that come together in a matter of minutes like this one. I hope that you all stay healthy and happy and eat lots of pesto!Print
Savory Tomato Pesto 2 Ways (Gluten Free & Vegan Option)
- 1 6 oz. jar of tomato paste
- ⅓ cup pine nuts, toasted
- ¼ cup fresh flat leaf parsley, minced
- ¼ cup fresh oregano, minced
- ¼ cup fresh basil, minced
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ cup Parmesan Cheese, grated or 2-3 Tbsp. of Nutritional Yeast if vegan
- 1 garlic clove, smashed and diced
- ½ tsp. salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- For a chunky pesto: Combine all of the ingredients in a medium sized bowl and mix well. Allow to sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to mingle. Toss with gluten-free pasta or spread on g-free crostini and serve immediately.
- For a smooth pesto: Combine all of the ingredients in your blender or food processor and blend on the highest setting possible adding small amounts of starchy pasta cooking water to thin the sauce, about ¼ cup at a time until desired consistency. Toss with prepared gluten-free pasta and serve immediately.
Robyn Stone | Add a Pinch says
This looks amazing! I am an avid fan of pesto, so I can't wait to give this a try!
Thanks Robyn, it is so easy and a big family favorite around here. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
Amy Finn says
This recipe looks awesome! Thank you so much for sharing. Still love your website; it's so pretty.
Thanks so much Amy!!!
Cindy (Vegetarian Mamma) says
Amazing! That pretty much sums it up! I can't wait to make this! YUM. Thanks for linking up at Gluten Free Fridays!
Love this! Linking back to this post in an upcoming FFC post 🙂
Thanks so much Marla! I really appreciate you linking back to me:)
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl says
This sounds SO tasty!! I love that there is a vegan option, too :).
Thank you! I am so glad that you stopped by and I hope that you enjoy the pesto.:)
Loving all that's coming out of your kitchen! xoLexie
Wow! This looks delicious! I've actually never had tomato pesto before! I can't wait to try this!
I hope that you really enjoy it!
Oh your poor boy! Those bugs are awful. Hope he feels better soon.
This pesto looks great! My daughter Wouk take smooth over chunky any day too 🙂
Thanks Dana, I hope you try it and she loves it!
Tomato pesto! I love this! Can't wait to try it!
I hope you love it!
This looks wonderful! What a great combination of ingredients 🙂
Thanks so much!