If you haven't noticed by the recipes we are sharing here on B&B lately - we are indulging in as much luscious summer fruit as we can while we can still get our hands on it!!
Our fridge is packed full of summer berries, while flavorful melons and stone fruit are taking up most of our counter space. With this heat wave we are having in Southern California and our homes lack of air conditioning I can't really bring myself to turn on the oven, so we have been dining on this epic fruit salad instead!
This salad is super easy to make and packs big, bold flavors from not only the fruit itself, but from being marinated in a lime simple syrup before adding fresh mint, toasted almonds and gorgeous Manitoba Harvest Hemp Hearts!
If you follow us on Pinterest then you already know we have been pinning up lots of Back to School inspiration with Hemp Hearts from Manitoba Harvest lately. Hemp Hearts are a pantry staple in our house and I find ways to incorporate them at practically every meal. Hemp Hearts contain 10 grams of plant-based protein and 10 grams of Omegas in each 30 gram serving - that's more protein and omegas and less carbs than the same serving of chia or flax! Plus they taste AMAZING.
Go ahead, indulge in fruit salad sprinkled with Hemp Hearts , or be like my daughter and sprinkle a layer of Hemp Hearts on top of your almond butter toast. You can even sprinkle them on your tacos at dinner. Hemp Hearts truly make any and everything better!
Summer's Best Fruit Salad
If you can't get your hands on honeydew and cantaloupe this salad is spectacular with watermelon too! Be sure to calculate the 1 hour marinating time into your prep time for this salad - it's important that the fruit is infused with the simple syrup.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 35 mins
- Yield: 5 servings 1x
- ¼ cup toasted almonds
- ⅔ cup water
- ⅓ cup fresh lime juice
- ½ cup sugar
- 300 grams ( about 2 cups) diced cantaloupe
- 200 grams ( about 1 ½ cups) diced honeydew
- 1 pint blackberries
- 1 plum, sliced thin
- ¼ cup fresh mint, chiffonade
- ½ cup Manitoba Harvest Hemp Hearts
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread the almonds onto it in a single layer. Toast for 5-10 minutes - stirring the pan halfway through if the almonds on the outer edge are browning too quickly. Toast until the almonds are golden brown.Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, stir the water, lime juice, and sugar in a medium sized saucepan over low heat for 5 minutes or until the sugar is dissolved, Set aside to cool for at least 15 minutes.
- In a large bowl combine the cantaloupe, honeydew, blackberries, plum slices and half of the mint. Drizzle the lime syrup over the fruit and toss to combine. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 1 hour to chill so that the flavors can develop.
- When ready to serve use a slotted spoon to scoop the fruit onto a large platter so that most of the excess syrup stays in the bowl. Sprinkle the almonds, Hemp Heartsand remaining mint over the top of the salad. Serve immediately.
Compensation for this post was provided by Manitoba Harvest. Opinions expressed here are my own.