Avocados are always in my fruit bowl – I think we go through at least 10 of them a week around here between the 4 of us. I layer them on top of salads and burrito bowls, mash them up to make guacamole, and blend them into creamy salad dressings. It wasn’t until a few weeks ago that I tried using them as tasty little serving dishes themselves. Where the heck have I been?
Apparently, this is a trend that has been happening on the internet for a while now, but admittedly I am late to the game!
So, when I was preparing to leave for our two week trip to the east coast and I had a fruit basket full of avocados and a crisper drawer full of fresh corn on the cob I needed to use I decided it was time to give this trend a whirl at my own dinner table.
I whipped up a platter full of this vegan Mexican Street Corn in Grilled Avocado Boats for dinner and after one bite I knew that we had been missing out. The smoky grilled avocado halves not only make beautiful little serving vessels for my favorite summer salad, but they also taste amazing!Print
Cashew “Sour Cream”
This recipe makes a big batch of vegan sour cream and you will definitely have more left over! This cashew based sauce is great drizzled over baked potatoes, burrito bowls, tacos or even nachos.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 10 mins
- Yield: 1 2/3 cup 1x
- Category: Vegan
- 1 cup raw cashew pieces, soaked in water for 4–8 hours; rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 heaping teaspoon light agave nectar
- 1/4– 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt, or more to taste
- Combine the soaked cashews, water, lime juice, agave nectar and sea salt in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the “S” blade and process until completely smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed, about 2 minutes.
- Store in a tightly sealed container in the refrigerator.
Vegan Mexican Street Corn in Grilled Avocado Boats
Grilled avocados make a delicious smoky serving vessel for all types of dishes! Try stuffing your avocado boats with rice, black beans and salsa for a delicious and healthy dinner!
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 33 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 3 mins
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Vegan
- 4 whole ears of corn, husks and silks still intact
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 4 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- 1–2 tablespoons finely chopped roasted jalapeno; stem seeds and skin removed
- 1 teaspoon ancho or chipotle powder
- 1/3–1/2 cup cashew “Sour Cream”
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 4 avocados, halved with the pit removed
- 1 lime cut into wedges
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and place the whole ears of corn, husks and all, directly onto a center rack and roast for 30 minutes.
- Carefully remove the corn from the oven allow it to cool slightly then pull back the hot husks and silks.
- Strip the kernels of corn from the cob and transfer them to a mixing bowl. Add the cilantro, red onion, roasted jalapeno, chile powder, and 1/3 cup of the cashew sour cream. Stir to combine and season to taste with salt. If the corn needs more cashew cream add it now until you reach the perfect creamy consistency. Set aside.
- Preheat a grill pan over medium heat. Drizzle the avocado halves with fresh lime juice and brush lightly with olive oil. Gently place cut side down on the grill and cook for for 2-3 minutes. Season with salt to taste.
- Fill each avocado half with the Mexican street corn and drizzle with hot sauce. Serve immediately.