It's a full 7 days into January and I have been good! I mean seriously, I have been drinking smoothies, juicing everything I can get my hands on, cooking all of the veggies, drinking boat loads of water, and I have even been waking up at the crack of dawn to make sure Todd gets a smoothie before work. I'm pretty sure that means it is time for a cookie! Because seriously, what is all this healthy living for if we can't indulge every now and then. Am I right?
These cookies are special cookies, because they are sort of healthy seeing as though they are gluten free and vegan. They are also decadent s'mores cookies which officially means you can have it all. Healthy eating and pure decadence, who knew?
These cookies were actually inspired by my dear friend Cara of Fork and Beans and my families love for her gluten free and vegan graham crackers. Back in December Cara invited me to her vegan blogger Christmas party and I wanted to take a treat along with me to say thanks for the invite. I know, I know, I baked her recipe for her...but then I tricked it out with vanilla vegan marshmallows and chocolate!!! (The few changes I made to Cara's original recipe for the cookies are listed in the notes of the recipe below.)
Vegan S'mores Sandwich CookiesPrint
- Yield: over 2 dozen 1x
- 1 batch Gluten Free Graham Crackers
- 1 10-ounce bag jumbo vegan & gluten free vanilla marshmallows
- 1 ½ cups gluten free & vegan semi-sweet chocolate chunks
- 1 ½ tablespoons non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening
- Bake the graham crackers as instructed in Cara's recipe. See notes below for my additions.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Once the cookies have cooled line 24 cookies across a foil lined baking sheet and set aside. Cut a jumbo marshmallow in half lengthwise and place both halves, cut side down, on one of the cookies. Repeat this process with all of the remaining marshmallows and cookies.
- Place the marshmallow topped cookies under the preheated broiler and let the marshmallows toast until golden brown, about 35-45 seconds. ***Watch the marshmallows closely as they will burn!!*** Once the marshmallows have toasted work quickly and top each stack with another graham cracker and press down gently so that the warm marshmallow starts to ooze through the sides of the cookies and the cookie sandwich sticks together.
- Meanwhile, in a microwave safe bowl heat the chocolate and shortening in 20-30 second bursts at 50 % power, stirring between each cook time until completely melted.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, dip each cookie sandwich halfway into the melted chocolate then place on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining cookie sandwiches until all of them are dipped in chocolate. Briefly place the cookies into the freezer so that the chocolate can set, about 3-5 minutes.
Additions to the original graham cracker recipe:
Add ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
Increase the vanilla extract to 1 teaspoon
Increase the nondairy milk to 8 tablespoons
Once the dough is prepared and rolled out cut into 2-inch circles with a cookie cutter.