I know I should probably be posting the recipe to some elaborate Thanksgiving dish today, but honestly all I can think about is soup. Specifically, this vegetarian tortilla soup. So, I'm just going to go with it.
We actually had our first chilly fall-ish day here this week! It was a welcome change of pace since the weather has been so dang hot here lately. I couldn't resist pulling on a cozy sweater and walking around the neighborhood for a bit just to feel the cool fall breeze on my face. It was a moment of fall magic that I have been desperately longing for since September! By the end of my walk, I was feeling a bit chilled and all I could think about was heating up a big pot of brothy soup to warm up.
This autumnal spin on the classic tortilla soup calls for thinly sliced half moons of delicata squash. I just love the contrast of the slightly sweet squash paired with the spicy broth and when you add those perfectly seasoned crispy fried tortilla shreds to the mix, forget about it! This bowl of vegetarian tortilla soup is out of this world delicious!
If you’ve tried this Vegan Tortilla Soup with an Autumn Twist Recipe, I would be so grateful if you would rate it. Let me know what you think in the comments below. I just love hearing from you, and your reviews and comments really help others that visit This Mess is Ours!Print
Vegan Tortilla Soup with an Autumn Twist
Don’t forget to rate the recipe, and let me know what you think about this Vegan Tortilla Soup in the comments below. I just love hearing from you. Your reviews/comments really help other people that visit This Mess is Ours!
- Yield: 4-6 servings 1x
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 poblano pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 large delicata squash, seeds removed and sliced thin
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons cumin
- ½ teaspoon coriander
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 package Massel Concentrated Liquid Stock, "chicken" flavor + 6 cups water OR 6 cups vegan "chicken" stock
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
For the tortilla chips
- Grapeseed oil for frying
- 6-8 stale corn tortillas or white corn tortillas, cut into thin strips
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 1 avocado, sliced thin
- lime wedges
- cilantro leaves
- Mexican crema, if desired
- In a large heavy bottomed pot heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic, peppers, squash, salt, cumin and coriander to the pot, cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute.
- Add the "chicken" stock and the beans then bring to a simmer. Simmer over medium-low heat for 20 minutes. Add the cilantro and lime juice. Remove from the heat and cover to keep warm.
Make the tortilla strips
- Pour enough oil in a deep sided skillet to come up the sides of the pan about an inch. Heat until the oil reaches approximately 350°F. Cut the tortillas into strips and set aside.
- While the oil is heating make the spice blend. In a small bowl combine the paprika, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and oregano. Stir to combine.
- Fry the tortilla strips in batches until crispy and golden about 1 minute. Remove the tortilla strips from the hot oil to a paper towel-lined plate and immediately sprinkle with some of the seasoning mix. Repeat the process until all of the tortillas are cooked.
- Ladle the tortilla soup into bowls, add heaps of crispy tortilla strips, avocado slices and lime wedges. Serve immediately.
Want to be a part of our online community outside of the blog? It’s easy!! All you have to do is follow @THISMESSISOURS on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, TWITTER, YOUTUBE, or PINTEREST to see cooking demos and peeks into our day to day life.
What are the health benefits of delicata squash?
Delicata squash is full of potassium and fiber which help to lower blood pressure and promote gut health. It also contains necessary nutrients like Vitamins B and C, magnesium, and manganese.
Click here for more information on the health benefits of delicata squash.