Colorful, bright, spicy, sweet, vibrant, delicious...I can't even make up my mind about what adjectives to use for this gorgeous Banh Mi Salad with Sriracha Vinaigrette Recipe from Heather Christo's new book Pure Delicious! All I know, is that I can't get enough and I just keep going back for more of this one.
I am what you would call a cookbook connoisseur. I travel with them, take them to the pool and I even keep one by my bed for late night reading. (I know, I know - I'm a total food nerd!) Most cookbooks that I come across are pretty predictable reads and to be perfectly honest at least ½ of them never even make their way back into my kitchen to actually cook from. This one is different though, I literally have never had a harder time deciding what to make first! Heather's recipes are not only innovative, but her story about her family's road to recovery from being diagnosed with multiple food allergies is one that I can completely relate too.
If you like this Banh Mi Salad Recipe, you'll love Heather Christo's Pure Delicious! cookbook.
Heather really poured her heart and soul into this cookbook and it shows! Her passion for each recipe came through with each page I turned. In a world that is inundated with new cookbooks hitting store shelves almost every day this one is a clear stand out and worthy of a permanent place on your cookbook shelf.
If you’ve tried this Banh mi Salad with Sriracha Vinaigrette Recipe, I would be so grateful if you would rate it. Let me know what you think in the comments below. I just love hearing from you, and your reviews and comments really help others that visit This Mess is Ours!Print
Bánh mì Salad with Sriracha Vinaigrette
Don’t forget to rate the recipe, and let me know what you think about this Banh mi Salad with Sriracha Vinaigrette in the comments below. I just love hearing from you. Your reviews/comments really help other people that visit This Mess is Ours!
- Prep Time: 25 mins
- Cook Time: 3 mins
- Total Time: 28 mins
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
Sweet and Spicy Pickled Onions
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeno, thinly sliced, with seeds
- 1 cup rice vinegar
- ½ cup granulated beet sugar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons Sriracha
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Kosher salt
- 6 cups mixed greens
- ½ cup lightly packed fresh mint leaves
- ½ cup lightly packed fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 cups cooked Adzuki beans, optional
- 1 cup carrot ribbons (made with a peeler)
- 1 cup thin bell pepper strips
- 1 Persian cucumber, sliced thin, optional
Make the pickled onions
- Place the onion and jalapeño slices in a heatproof medium bowl.
- In a small pot combine the vinegar, sugar and salt. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook, stirring, until the sugar has dissolved, about 2 minutes.
- Pour the vinegar mixture over the onion and jalapeño slices. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and set aside for at least 25 minutes. (These can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.)
Make the Sriracha Vinaigrette
- In a blender, combine the garlic, Sriracha, vinegar, vegetable oil and honey. Puree until smooth and then season with salt. Set aside.
Build the salad
- In a large bowl or on a platter combine the mixed greens, mint and cilantro. Top with the Adzuki beans, carrot ribbons, bell pepper strips and cucumber slices. Drizzle the salad with the vinaigrette an toss until well coated and combined. Serve immediately.
Want to be a part of our online community outside of the blog? It’s easy!! All you have to do is follow @THISMESSISOURS on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, TWITTER, YOUTUBE, or PINTEREST to see cooking demos and peeks into our day to day life.
What are the health benefits of spinach?
Spinach is full of nutrients like Vitamins A, B, and C, along with minerals such as iron and calcium. It is effective in promoting eye health and lowering blood pressure. Spinach is also packed with healthy fiber which improves digestive health.
Click here for more information on the health benefits of spinach.
Jen Heinichen says
My husband said he wanted to drink the dressing and sort of did. This was so good. The herbs and thinly sliced veggies were so refreshing I felt like I could eat a giant bowl of this salad every day for lunch and dinner. We didn’t have beans but when I make this again, probably tomorrow, I will add those. So good!!!!!
Yay Jen!! You just made my day! I am so glad you both liked it so much. This salad is one of our favorites 🙂