This post is sponsored by Guerrero, and we received compensation in exchange for it. Opinions are always our own. If we don’t love it, you don’t hear about it.
Holidays in the south are steeped in tradition and superstition. Case in point, feasting on black eyed peas and collard greens New Year’s Day. Everyone I have ever known in the south shares this tradition in the hopes that this simple feast will bring them prosperity, good luck, and good fortune in the coming year. While I’m not 100% sure it really works, I’ll jump at any chance to increase my odds of luck in the new year! Of course, I couldn’t resist putting my own modern spin on this southern classic with these Collard Green and Black Eyed Pea Hummus Tostadas!
Honestly, I don’t think I’ve ever had a beans and green feast that tasted as good as this one! It all starts out with Guerrero’s Baked Tostadas with Sea Salt that are smothered in smoky black eyed pea hummus then topped with roasted sweet potato, Jammy Instant Pot Collard Greens, toasted pecans and hot pickled cherry peppers.
Every single bite of these tostadas are like a firework show for your taste buds! Which I guess is pretty darn appropriate considering the time of year it is. Here’s to a tasty and prosperous 2018 full of good eats, good health, and hopefully a little good luck too.
Collard Green and Black Eyed Pea Hummus Tostadas
While we love these just as they are, we also have enjoyed them with shredded oven baked salsa chicken.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 40 mins
- Yield: 6-8 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Oven/Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Southern
Roasted Sweet Potato Rounds
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and sliced into rounds
- olive oil spray to coat
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 batch Smoky Black Eyed Pea Hummus
- 1 batch Instant Pot Jammy Collard Greens
- 6–8 Guerrero Baked Tostadas with Sea Salt
- 1/4 cup toasted pecans, chopped
- 1/4 cup pickled cherry peppers, chopped
Roast the sweet potatoes
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Prep the sweet potato rounds by spraying lightly with olive oil then tossing with paprika, garlic powder, salt, and pepper to taste. Arrange in a flat layer on the prepared baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes or until tender.
Build the tostadas