Have I told you before that my family loves curry? This isn't a new thing to most people, but I didn't discover the wonderfulness that is curry until about a year ago. Shocker, I know! Truthfully, my families struggle with gluten intolerance has turned out to be more of a blessing than a curse. Although, I don't think you would have heard us muttering the word blessing upon our diagnosis, I assure you. You see, having limits put on the types of food that we can eat and having to explore new ingredients and avoid old trusty ones has turned our entire family into more adventurous eaters.
I have always loved to cook, but I rarely left my comfort zone prior to going gluten free. I cooked with what I knew and we were all pretty darn happy, or so we thought. Fast forward almost two years and I am blown away by the number of ingredients that we have grown to love that we were missing out on before, like curry. Now my family looks forward to some type of curry dish each week, whether it be soup, a curry bowl, a fall inspired curry like this one, or a bottom of the crisper drawer curry.
This recipe is my new favorite! The aromatic broth simmering with the vegetables is such an intoxicating aroma and I can whip this dish up in about 30 minutes, depending on how fast I chop. Are there any ingredients that you have discovered since going on a restricted diet that you can't live without?Print
Curried Delicata Squash with Broccoli and Cashews (Gluten Free and Vegan)
Slightly sweet delicata squash, sweet potatoes, broccoli and yellow onion are gently cooked in an aromatic broth.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
- 1 13 ½ ounce can coconut milk, unstirred
- 3 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
- 3 tablespoons Tamari gluten free soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar (You could use brown sugar also)
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon sriracha, optional
- ½ tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 large delicata squash, seeds removed and sliced into 11/4-inch half moons
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and sliced into ½-inch rounds
- 1 small yellow onion, cut into ½-inch wedges
- ½ cup salted cashews
- ⅔ cup torn fresh basil leaves
- To serve:
- 4 servings of prepared jasmine rice
- Measure 3 tablespoons of the thickened cream from the coconut milk and place it in a 6-quart pot. Whisk in the curry paste and cook over medium-high heat, whisking frequently, until the mixture is fragrant and slightly darker in color, about 5 minutes. Add the remaining coconut cream and milk from the can along with the tamari, coconut sugar, water, sriracha, and ginger; whisk until combined. Bring to a simmer and add the broccoli, squash, sweet potato, and yellow onion. Partially cover, turn the heat down to medium, and continue simmering, stirring occasionally, until the squash and potatoes are tender, about 8-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toast the cashews in a small skillet over medium-high heat, stirring frequently until dark in spots, about 4 minutes. Set aside.
- Stir the cashews and basil into the pot and serve over rice.