Memorial Day is almost here and I bet you are preparing your grill, planning your menu, and getting ready to feast – am I right?
This year on our menu I am ditching the mayo/yogurt laden potato salad and serving up this Grilled Potato and Ramp Salad with Citrus Vinaigrette instead!
Last week Melissa’s produce sent me an amazing box brimming with fresh fruits and vegetables. I swear I would rather receive a gift like that than a bouquet of flowers! I was so inspired by all of the beautiful produce inside that I immediately hopped into the kitchen and started brainstorming ways to use it all.
I have some really delicious recipes photographed to share with you here in the next few week’s, but this one had to come first because let’s face it – it is perfect for Memorial Day! This gorgeous, colorful mix of fingerling potatoes, ramps, and Fresno chile peppers is sure to look stunning and taste amazing. I mean who could resist these colors?!
This salad calls for one of my most recent spice obsessions Marash chile flakes. You may recall my blistered edamame that is sprinkled with this pepper and coarse salt – seriously, I am totally hooked! This little pepper is earthy with fruity undertones and a mild acidity. It’s not very hot at all, really it’s just hot enough so that you know it’s there.
Forget the traditional mayo based potato salad at your summer BBQ this year and go for our grilled version with ramps and citrus vinaigrette instead!
- 1 1/2 pounds mixed fingerling potatoes
- Kosher salt
- 20 ramps, trimmed
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- Ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 4 teaspoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 teaspoon Marash chile flake
- 1 small Fresno chile pepper, stemmed, seeded and thinly sliced
- In a large saucepan, cover the potatoes with water and bring to a boil. Add a generous pinch of salt and simmer over moderate heat until just tender, about 15 minutes. Drain and let cool slightly, then halve lengthwise.
- Meanwhile, light a grill or preheat a grill pan. Brush the ramps with oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill over high heat, turning, until lightly charred, about 1 minute. Transfer to a plate, cover with plastic wrap and let steam for 10 minutes. Cut the ramps into 1-inch lengths.
- Brush the potatoes with oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill cut side down over high heat until lightly charred, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- In a large bowl, whisk the olive oil with the vinegar and orange juice. Add the ramps and potatoes and toss well. Season with salt and Marash chile and toss again. Scatter the Fresno slices on top, garnish with a large pinch of Marash chile and serve warm or at room temperature.
If you don’t have ramps scallions will also work.
Inspired by Food & Wine