Can we talk about sweet potato toast?!
To be brutally honest, when this insanely popular food trend first surfaced, I didn’t immediately hop on the sweet potato toast train. Admittedly, I didn’t really get it. I mean, I could see how it would taste good, but it wasn’t one of those things that I saw on Pinterest and said, “OMG!!! I have to make that!”
Over the last 6 months, I kept seeing all sorts of versions of sweet potato toasts pop up in my feed. I slowly started thinking that maybe, just maybe, this was a trend I needed to try for myself. I do really LOVE sweet potatoes after all!
So a few weekends ago, I decided to put any skepticism about this burgeoning food trend aside and give it a go. I stuck with flavors that I really enjoy like black bean salsa, creamy Litehouse Avocado Dip, and pipits.
I first tried thin slices in my toaster, but decided I wanted a bit of crispiness like real toast around the edges. Therefore, I opted for quickly roasting the sweet potato planks in the oven. 15 minutes later, I topped them with a schemer of Litehouse Avocado Dip, my go-to black bean salsa, some salt and pepper, a few pepitas, and a hearty dose of red pepper flakes.
This avocado topping can be used on anything you want.
If you’ve never tried Litehouse Avocado Dip, you are truly missing out! I’ve been keeping a container of it in the fridge. It's perfect for afternoon snacks, taco toppings, and a tangy dressing for my favorite Tex Mex inspired salads. It’s rich, creamy, and highly addictive!
Those little planks sure did look beautiful, but the flavor is what really blew me away. Salty, sweet, with a little kick, exactly how I like to start my day! Consider me a sweet potato toast convert. I think I might just need to explore this breakfast situation on a weekly basis!
If you’ve tried the Sweet Potato Toast Recipe, I would be so grateful if you would rate it. Let me know what you think in the comments below. I just love hearing from you and your reviews and comments really help others that visit This Mess is Ours!Print
Sweet Potato Toast with Avocado and Black Bean Salsa
Make this breakfast super fast for busy weekday mornings by slicing the sweet potatoes and making the salsa the night before.
Don’t forget to rate the recipe, and let me know what you think about this Sweet Potato Toast in the comments below. I just love hearing from you and your reviews/comments really help other people that visit This Mess is Ours!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 12 mins
- Total Time: 22 mins
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- 1 large sweet potato, scrubbed clean then sliced lengthwise into 8-10 thin strips using a mandolin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 small jalapeño, seeds and ribs removed
- ½ cup minced red onion
- ¼ cup minced cilantro
- juice of 2 large limes, about ¼ cup
- Litehouse Avocado Dip
- cilantro leaves
- red pepper flakes
- Maldon salt and coarsely ground black pepper
To make the sweet potato toast
- Preheat the oven to 450° F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the sweet potato toasts on the sheet pan and lightly brush them with olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper Roast in the oven, flipping once for 15 - 20 minutes until cooked through and browning around the edges.
- Alternatively if using a toaster oven: Slice the sweet potato lengthwise into ¼ inch thick slices, place the slices of sweet potato in a toaster on high for 5 minutes or until cooked through. You will probably need to toast multiple times to cook all the way.
To make the black bean salsa
- While the sweet potato toasts combine the black beans, jalapeño, red onion, cilantro, and lime juice in a bowl. Season to taste with salt and black pepper and set aside to marinate.
- Spread 1 tablespoon Litehouse Avocado Dip on each sweet potato toast. To with a heaping spoonful of salsa, cilantro, and a sprinkling of pepitas. Season with red pepper flakes, Maldon salt, and pepper. Serve immediately.
Want to be a part of our online community outside of the blog? It’s easy!! All you have to do is follow @THISMESSISOURS on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, TWITTER, YOUTUBE, or PINTEREST to see cooking demos and peeks into our day to day life.
What are the health benefits of sweet potato?
Sweet potatoes, especially when also eating the peel, are full of fiber, vitamins, and antioxidants. These nutrients help in promoting gut health, improves vision health, and rids the body of free radicals.
Click here for more information on the health benefits of sweet potato.