This post is sponsored by Casabella, and we received compensation and product in exchange for it. Opinions are always our own. If we don’t love it, you don't hear about it. Thanks for your continued support!
It's officially tailgating season and I'm celebrating by sharing the recipes for two of my family's favorite game day eats! This ultimate vegetarian chili & herb laced guacamole recipe is always at the top of my list for fall gatherings, because they're easy to prepare, feed a crowd, and make both our vegan and meat eating friends happy.
If you're wondering what makes my ultimate vegetarian chili recipe so ultimate it's the combination of 4 types of beans, 3 types of peppers, sweet potato, and a bevy of smoky spices. I make this plant based chili rich and "meaty” by using my favorite star anise and cardamom laced chili powder mixed with vegan "beef" broth .
I am all about cooking and prepping in advance of game day gathering, which makes chili an excellent choice, but guacamole has always been one of those things that I saved to the last minute because I would worry it would turn brown. There is nothing more unappetizing than brown guacamole!! This season is different though because I've found Casabella’s Guac-Lock. This little kitchen gadget is a miracle for guac lovers like us, because it has a plunger system that pushes the air out of the container keeping my guac the perfect shade of green for hours on end.
Our son, Kash, loves to make guac, but in the past I hesitated to let him help because sharp knives and little hands don't mix. Now that I have Casabella's 4 'n 1 Avocado Tool he can do all of the halving, removing pits, and scooping of the avocado safely himself while I use their Clip 'N Strip Shears to perfectly trim the herbs we will need. So we can knock out the prep in half the time and get to the business of watching the game! Ok, who am I kidding? So we can get to the business of eating!
If you’ve tried this Vegetarian Chili Recipe, I would be so grateful if you would rate it. Let me know what you think in the comments below. I just love hearing from you and your reviews and comments really help others that visit This Mess is Ours!Print
The Ultimate Vegetarian Chili & Herb Laced Guacamole
This chili is great on it's own, but is pretty amazing ladled over burgers and hot dogs!
Don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know what you think about this Vegetarian Chili in the comments below. I just love hearing from you. Your reviews/comments really help other people that visit This Mess is Ours!
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour 30 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 50 mins
- Yield: 6-8 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove top
- Cuisine: Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeds removed, minced
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste, I use San Marzano double concentrated tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 (28-ounce) can of diced tomatoes
- 1 (15.5-ounce) can of northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15.5-ounce) can of pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15.5-ounce) can of kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15.5-ounce) can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups vegan "beef" broth or vegetable broth
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
For the Herb Laced Guacamole
- ½ cup finely diced red onion
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 5 avocados, halved and pitted with Casabella 4 'n 1 Avocado Tool
- ¼ cup tender cilantro stems and leaves, snipped finely with Casabella Clip 'N Strip Shears
- ⅛ cup Italian parsley leaves snipped snipped finely with Casabella Clip 'N Strip Shears
- 2 limes juiced
- kosher salt to taste
- Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion and peppers, cook for 5 minutes until the onions are beginning to turn translucent and the peppers are slightly softened. Add the sweet potato and garlic then cook for 3 more minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in the tomato paste and the chili powder, cook for 1 more minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the canned tomatoes, beans, and broth. Stir to combine, season to taste with salt and pepper. Turn the heat up slightly, bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally for 1 ½ -2 hours.
For the Herb Laced Guacamole
- Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and use the Casabella 4 'n 1 Avocado Tool to mash everything together until combined.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 199
- Sugar: 6.5 g
- Sodium: 1098.8 mg
- Fat: 2.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 35.3 g
- Protein: 10 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Want to be a part of our online community outside of the blog? It’s easy!! All you have to do is follow @THISMESSISOURS on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, TWITTER, YOUTUBE, or PINTEREST to see cooking demos and peeks into our day to day life.
What are the health benefits of sweet potato?
Sweet potatoes, especially when also eating the peel, are full of fiber, vitamins, and antioxidants. These nutrients help in promoting gut health, improves vision health, and rids the body of free radicals.
Click here for more information on the health benefits of sweet potato.
Frequently Asked Questions