Instant Pot Jammy Collard Greens
After 2 years of owning an Instant Pot I have finally become hooked on using it!! I know, it took me a while, however when I realized I could recreate the jammy collard greens we feasted on at Turkey & the Wolf during a recent trip to New Orleans in under an hour I knew I had to give it a try.
These collard greens are unlike any you have ever eaten before, I assure you of that! They are cooked in a brine of red wine vinegar, sugar, garlic, and spices which makes them irresistibly tangy and sweet with a little heat at the finish. While we love them on their own, they’re irresistible piled high on a tostada with roasted sweet potatoes and black eyed pea hummus!
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons Creole seasoning
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 10 cups torn collard green leaves, approximately 2 (10-ounce) bags prepared collards
- Set the Instant Pot to the Sauté setting (Normal/Med heat). When the display reads "Hot" add the butter. Once melted add the sliced garlic, vinegar, water, sugar, Creole seasoning, salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes. Sauté stirring occasionally, until liquid slightly reduces, about 10 minutes. Cancel the sauté function so the pot will stop heating.
- Add the collard greens to the Instant Pot, use tongs to toss and coat in the liquid.
- Press Manual, set to sealing, and use the + or - button to choose 25 minutes.
- When cook cycle is finished, let the pot naturally release pressure for 10 minutes. Then manually release the remaining steam.
- Remove the lid, there should only be enough liquid to coat the greens when done cooking. If extra liquid remains once pressure has been released turn on the sauté function and continue to cook a few minutes, stirring often, until most of the liquid has been evaporated. (This took me about 3-5 minutes)