It's getting colder outside which means it's time for soul warming, heaping bowls of soups and stews! Are you with me? Great! Remember a few weeks ago when I posted a recipe for Curried Delicata Squash with Broccoli and Cashews? I went on and on about how much we love curry and how it is a new to us kind of spice...yeah, that one. Anyways, I took that passion for curry and turned it into a piping hot bowl of soup chocked full of veggies and flavor. Even Todd who is a major cauliflower hater deemed this soup worthy of chowing down on, 2 bowls worth to be exact. Although, he did request that I come up with some other vegetable to replace the cauliflower next time. Oh well, mission hide the cauliflower wasn't successful, but this soup was a hit and the whole green curry meets coconut milk meets lime thing...well my friends that is a perfect pairing by itself.Print
Green Curry Soup with Cauliflower and Leeks (Gluten Free and Vegan)
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 45 mins
- Yield: 4-6 1x
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (if not vegan butter would be fine)
- 1 cup chopped leeks, white and light green parts only, washed well.
- ⅓ cup finely chopped cilantro stems (You can use leaves too if you like)
- 1 ½ pounds cauliflower, broken into little florets
- 1 tablespoon raw white basmati rice
- kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons Thai green curry paste
- 1 tablespoon lemongrass paste
- 1 inch piece of ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 can full fat coconut milk + ten Free and Vegan)">vegetable stock or water to equal 4 cups
- juice of 1 large lime
- 2 tablespoons coconut butter
- Cilantro leaves, snipped chives, and red pepper flakes to garnish
- In a large soup pot heat the oil over medium-low heat. Add the leeks, cilantro stems, cauliflower, rice, and 1 ½ teaspoons of kosher salt; stir to coat. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Place the green curry paste, lemongrass paste, and grated ginger in a large bowl; add the coconut milk and water then beat with a whisk until combined. Pour this mixture over the sauteed veggies, raise the heat to high, and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to a simmer, cover partially, and cook until the cauliflower is tender, about 20-25 minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly then scoop a few cups of the soup into a blender and process until smooth then return to the pot. Reheat gently, add the lime juice, and season to taste with salt. Just before serving, stir in the coconut butter.
- Serve in bowls topped with cilantro leaves, snipped chives, and red pepper flakes.
Adapted from Vegetable Literacy
What is cilantro? And where do you get coconut butter, or do you just combine coconut milk with butter when making the soup?
Hi Vivien cilantro and coriander are the same plant 🙂 As far as coconut butter goes, I often order it from Amazon. You could also make it at home if you wish from shredded coconut.
I am also wondering if 1 TBSP of rice is the correct amount or if it was meant to read one CUP???
It's 1 tablespoon 🙂
Does the liquid requirement mean the *total* of the coconut milk and the water/stock is 4 cups, or that you need 1 can milk and 4 cups stock/water?
Yes, the entire can of coconut milk combined with water/stock to equal 4 cups total liquid.
Did you mean 1 Tablespoon of rice? Or 1 cup?
I only put 1 tablespoon of rice into the soup. 🙂
Ashley @ Big Flavors from a Tiny Kitchen says
Wow! This looks wonderful. I love curry, any way I can get it! This soup is beautiful - I'd happily go back for seconds 🙂
Thanks so much Ashley!