When we were dreaming up the menu for our cozy, Italian Polenta Party with Aida and Kate I couldn’t resist offering to take on creating a cocktail recipe for the feast! There were so many ideas swirling around in my head, but after brainstorming with my Mother in Law while she was visiting a few weeks ago I ultimately decided that an aperitivo was the way to go. My Apple Basil and Prosecco Spritzer is a nice light sip with a crisp, clean flavor making it the perfect way to kick off a hearty feast!
The Italian word aperitivo stems from the Latin verb aperire which means ‘to open’. Drinks like this spritzer, paired with small bites like the charcuterie board that Aida made are meant to wake up your appetite and prepare you for the feast.
One of my favorite things about this spritzer besides the incredible flavor is that it lends itself to a beautiful DIY spritzer bar set up for your guests. All you really need to set out for them is the glassware, apple basil syrup, a bottle of your favorite prosecco and the garnishes of thinly sliced apples and basil leaves.Print
Swap up the flavors in this cocktail by substituting the apple for pear!
- 1 cup grated apple
- 2 tablespoons minced ginger
- 2 hearty sprigs basil leaves (about 12 good sized leaves)
- 2 tablespoons raw honey
- 1 cup water
- 1 small apple, thinly sliced for garnish
- basil leaves for garnish
- 1 bottle prosecco
- In a small saucepan combine the water, grated apple, ginger, basil sprigs, and honey. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, reduce to a simmer and cook for 8-12 minutes until the liquid is infused. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Strain the solids from the liquids pressing on the solids with the back of a spoon to release all of the syrup. Discard the solids.
- Place 2-3 tablespoons apple basil syrup in desired glass, a champagne flute is great if you have them on hand, top with prosecco then garnish with a slice of apple and basil.
Big love to Melissa’s Produce for sponsoring our feast and for providing the most beautiful fruits and vegetables to feast upon!