Ever since I made Stuffed Miso Eggplant for my family a few weeks ago they have been begging for more eggplant recipes. I have been roasting and grilling eggplant every chance I get since then and this take on eggplant is my family’s favorite so now I am sharing it here with you.
Long, tender Japanese eggplant are halved, scored, and brushed with oil then roasted until the flesh turns golden. A generous layer of Thai green curry paste, miso, coconut butter, and a few other key ingredients are then slathered over the scored eggplant and broiled until crisp and slightly charred. I could eat it like this and be happy, but my family is full of people that love texture in their meals so I knew there had to be a crunch factor involved to go with the creamy eggplant.
I decided to top those beautiful roasted eggplant with a salad of fresh cilantro leaves, heirloom tomatoes, pickled ginger, and roasted cashews. Todd couldn’t help, but make googly eyes at the pairing of 2 of his favorite ingredients; eggplant and cilantro. The kids were all about it too it was a little sweet, a little spicy, and super colorful which to them equals dinner perfection. Bonus: the kids thought black rice as a side dish was super cool!
Green Curry & Miso Roasted Eggplant with Cilantro, Cashew, & Pickled Ginger Salad
- Yield: 4 - 5 1x
- 3 Japanese eggplant, cut in half through the stem lengthwise
- 1 tablespoons + 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup gluten free yellow miso
- 1 tablespoon gluten free green curry paste
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut butter
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/4 cup cashews, toasted and chopped
- 1 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup sliced cherry tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon pickled ginger, minced
- Preheat oven to 425°.Score the flesh of the eggplant by cutting large x’s into it with a pairing knife. **Be careful not to cut through the eggplant when scoring** Brush both sides of the eggplant halves with the 1 tablespoon of oil and place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Roast the eggplant, flipping once, until very tender, about 20 minutes. Remove from oven. Arrange a rack in upper third of oven and heat to broil.
- Meanwhile, whisk the yellow miso, green curry paste, coconut butter, 2 tablespoon olive oil, and orange juice together until combines. Smear top of eggplant slices with miso sauce. Broil until golden and charred in places, 3–5 minutes.
- While the eggplant is cooking combine the cashews, cilantro, tomatoes, and pickled ginger in a bowl and stir to combine.
- When the eggplant has begun to slightly char around the edges remove from the oven and top with the salad.