There are so many wonderful things about summer that I love! Swimming, watermelon, popsicles, and sundresses are all in my top 5 favorite things about the season right along with a good old fashioned potluck!!! I just love gathering together with family and friends over food, drinks, and good conversation.
This summer has been so crazy for us with the kid’s activities and travel that we haven’t been able to attend a proper potluck, so when I was invited to join 26 amazing bloggers as a part of the #SoLetsPigOut summer potluck I literally squealed out loud in delight! I am in some really good company as a part of this potluck and the food…well, the food is nothing short of spectacular.
Since I happen to have an abundance of watermelon around my house right now I decided that I would bring a simple , but beautiful watermelon salad to the party inspired by the watermelon and halloumi salad at our favorite Long Beach Mediterranean restaurant. My version is grilled and then tossed with a simple honey- lime dressing and fresh mint.
Grilled Watermelon and Halloumi Salad
- Yield: 6 as a side 1x
For the dressing
- 1/4 teaspoon lime zest
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon honey or Bee Free Honey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- pinch of salt
For the salad
- olive oil for grill
- 1.5 pounds of peeled, seedless watermelon
- 1 8-ounce package Halloumi Cheese
- 3 tablespoons mint, minced
Make the dressing
- In a small bowl whisk together the zest, lime juice, honey, olive oil, salt & pepper. Set aside.
Grill the fruit and cheese
- Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Slice the watermelon into thick “steaks” or slabs to grill and slice the cheese into manageable pieces about 1/4 -1/2 inch thick. When the pan is heated brush it with olive oil then grill the melon and the cheese for 1-1.5 minutes per side until grill marks appear.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool. The watermelon will release juices as it rests, discard them.
- Dice the watermelon and halloumi into small pieces then toss with the prepared dressing and top with mint.
Get ready for some serious potluck inspiration:
Mexican Corn Off The Cob from Gluten Is My Bitch
Toblerone Ice Cream Cake from The Sugar Hit
Blueberry Mojitos from Cake Over Steak
Vegan Gluten Free S’meaches from Will Frolic For Food
Strawberry Jalapeno Margaritas from What’s Gaby Cooking
Chicken Fried Tofu Sliders + Spicy Peach Slaw from Earthy Feast
Grain Free Roasted Grape & Rosemary Savory Goat Cheese Mini Tarts from Tasty Yummies
Banh Mi Fries from I Am A Food Blog
Norimaki Mochiko Chicken Bites + Quick Pickles from Fix Feast Flair
Peach Melba Coconut Cream Soda from Aida Mollenkamp
Smoked Salmon Dip from Loves Food Loves To Eat
Gluten Free Banana Cupcakes with Black Tea infused Sweet Cherry Frosting from With Food and Love
Gluten Free Almond Hummus and Crackers from a la main
Marionberry Pie from Dunk and Crumble
Caramelized Onion Buffalo Meatballs with Ranch Drizzle from Predominantly Paleo
Raspberry Fluff from Wit & Vinegar
Peach and Rosemary Crisp from Live Simply
Grain-free Raspberry Coconut Cupcakes from Texanerin
Paleo Coconut-Lime Fruit Salad from Rubies and Radishes
Grilled Halloumi + Peach Skewers with Basil Jalapeno Sauce from Naturally Ella
Herby Wild Rice Salad with Roasted Cherries from 80 Twenty