It’s no secret to all of you that we like curry. I have pretty much posted a curry recipe or two every season since we started B&B and based on the overwhelming response from our readers I am taking it that you all LOVE curry too! The roasted spring vegetable curry that I am sharing with all of you here today just happens to be our kids favorite curry dish. I make it all of the time for them in the spring and summer as soon as fresh green beans and fingerling potatoes start rolling into our farmers market.
This curry isn’t really spicy, although you can add a dash of Sriracha at the table to heat it up. The curry sauce is more mellow for our kids palettes with red Thai curry paste, lemongrass, ginger, and garlic all melding together in coconut milk. I serve the curry sauce alongside the veggies for my kids so that they can put as much or as little as they want in their bowls, although I assure you they never skimp on the sauce.
To be perfectly honest you can pretty much roast any combination of veggies here and top it with the same curry sauce over rice, quinoa, or even millet and your family would go bonkers for it! Go ahead, grab what you have on hand, no need for a shopping list just wing it. Use up the last of your CSA basket, clean out your crisper drawer, or dress up last nights leftover roasted veggies. You really can’t go wrong!
For the roasted vegetables
- 1 pound fingerling potatoes, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 cups cauliflower pieces, trimmed
- 2 cups green beans, trimmed
- 1/2 of 1 large yellow onion, cut into wedges
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked pepper
For the sauce
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1/2 tablespoon lemongrass paste
- 2 tablespoons red Thai curry paste
- 1 (13.5 ounce) can full fat coconut milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- fresh cilantro leaves or cilantro sprouts for serving
To roast the veggies
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside. In a large mixing bowl toss the prepped veggies with the olive oil, salt, and pepper. Then divide the veggies between the sheet pans and roast in the oven, rotating racks and stirring occasionally for 25-30 minutes.
To make the curry sauce
- Melt the coconut oil over medium heat in a small saucepan. Add the garlic, ginger, lemongrass paste, and red Thai curry paste to the pot. Mix with a whisk fro 1-2 minutes until the ingredients are thoroughly combined and the color of the paste has darkened slightly. Add the coconut milk, salt, and pepper stir to combine. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. The sauce will reduce and thicken slightly. Taste and add more salt or pepper to your liking.
Serve over white or brown rice, quinoa, or millet.