I think you all are very aware by now of my very real obsession with cookbooks! I literally take them to bed with me at night and read them cover to cover. Who needs a novel when you can pour through the pages of a cookbook and see food through someone else’s eyes? The flavors they pair together are new, exciting and you get to see a little slice of who they really are and how they cook. It’s pure magic!
Case in point the cookbook that has been gracing my bed side table for the last few weeks: The Easy Vegetarian Kitchen by Erin Alderson of Naturally Ella. Erin’s latest book has 50 core recipes each with 4 seasonal versions of the core dish. Which really means that this book has a total of 250 recipes! Sort of mad genius right?!
This book features recipes for everything from morning oats like these to dinner favorites such as risottos and enchiladas. Don’t even get me started on the desserts, because there is a killer vanilla bean pudding with roasted cherries recipe that is on my meal plan for this coming week. When I thought about what I wanted to share from Erin’s latest book I figured it was only fitting to stick with the pistachio theme since I shared her delicious Lemon Pistachio Cake from her first book The Homemade Flour Cookbook!
Also, lets face it, oatmeal doesn’t get enough credit these days. It’s delicious and I just can’t get enough!
These morning oats hit the spot – even Todd and the kids loved it. It was easy, fast, and we can’t wait to try the other versions which are:
Mixed-Berry Overnight Oats
Maple Apple Morning Oats
Roasted Sweet Potato and Fried Egg Morning Oats
Although this book isn’t entirely gluten free a lot of the recipes can be easily adapted. If you are a vegetarian or just looking to incorporate more veggie into your diet this book is for you!Print
Printed with permission from: Erin Alderson and Fair Winds Press recipe from: The Easy Vegetarian Kitchen Cookbook
- 1 cup (100 g) gluten free rolled oats
- 1 cup (240 ml ) whole milk
- 1 cup (240 ml) water
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml ) maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Combine all of the ingredients into a medium sauce pan. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook until the oats are tender and have thickened, 12 to 15 minutes. Divide between 2 bowls and top with your favorite fruit, nuts, and/or a splash of cream.
Printed with permission from: Erin Alderson and Fair Winds Press recipe from: The Easy Vegetarian Kitchen Cookbook.
- 1 recipe Morning Oats
- 2 cups ( 340 g ) sliced strawberries
- 1 1/2 teaspoons maple syrup, divided
- 1/4 cup ( 35 g ) pistachio pieces
- Preheat the oven to 400°F ( 200° C or gas mark 6 ). Toss the strawberries with 1 teaspoon of the maple syrup and place in a single layer in a roasting pan. Toss the pistachios with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon maple syrup and spread on a baking tray. Bake the pistachios for 10 minutes and the strawberries for for 15 minutes. Top the oatmeal with the strawberries and a sprinkle of pistachios.