Millet has quickly become a staple in our house. I find myself cooking with it more and more with each week that passes and I have yet to find a recipe that it doesn’t shine in. Up until now most of my recipes containing millet here on Beard and Bonnet have been savory like these millet cakes or this tabbouleh. A few weeks ago I started adding millet into baked goods at home after reading a recipe from one of my favorite cookbooks that called for raw millet in a breakfast muffin. I wasn’t at all sure how it would turn out, but I knew it would be a new and interesting use of the grain for my family.
I have tried 4 or 5 different versions of these muffins now and really liked them all, but earlier this week when a house full of gluten loving kids cleared almost this whole batch of muffins in less than half an hour I knew that we had reached perfection on the strawberry millet muffin front. These muffins are pretty quick to assemble and bake up in flash, which works really well when you have hungry kids running through your house. Try serving these delectable little muffins with coconut butter, and extra honey. *I swear strawberries and coconut together are ridiculously good! Or you can go really crazy and use these little millet muffins in place of the shortcake in your strawberry shortcake stack, their subtle sweetness won’t overpower the additional spoonful or two of fresh macerated strawberries and dollop of whipped cream. Do you cook with millet or millet flour? I would love to hear about the recipes you make with this beautiful little grain, so feel free to leave a link to your favorite millet recipe in the comments below.
Strawberry Millet Muffins
Fresh organic strawberries pair with honey, lemon zest, and millet for a delectable gluten free muffin that is subtly sweet and has a great little crunch!
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 15
- Total Time: 30
- 2 1/4 cups Better Batter Flour or other gluten free all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup raw millet
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup finely chopped organic strawberries
- 1/2 cup slightly melted slated butter
- 1/2 cup honey
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 400° F with the rack in the upper third of the oven. Grease muffin pans with butter or line muffin tins with paper liners.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together the Better Batter, millet, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. In a separate bowl combine the wet ingredients and lemon zest, whisking well until the mixture is smooth. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until everything is incorporated. Divide the batter among the muffin cups, filling each one to just slightly below the rim.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the muffin tops are slightly browned and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in the pan for a few minutes then turn the muffins out of the pan to cool completely on a wire rack.
- These muffins have a subtle strawberry flavor that still allows for the lemon zest and honey to come through. Add up to a 1/2 cup chopped strawberries for a more intense strawberry flavor.
- This recipe makes approximately 10 standard sized muffins and 16 small muffins.