Gluten Free Apple Brown Butter Blondies
Who’s ready for apple season? I know I am, because I have these Apple Brown Butter Blondies on repeat over here right now. They are so good that I will be keeping them around all season long!
Every year our family makes a trip up to this dreamy little apple orchard outside of LA. It’s so great to get out of the city for a bit and show the kids where their food really comes from.
A day spent picking and pressing apples is so good for this mama’s soul! Growing up in the south I spent lots of time outdoors in nature. Our weekends were filled with hiking in the woods behind our house, gardening with my grandparents and fishing. It was a much slower paced than what our kids experience here in Southern California. I feel like our little yearly trips to the apple orchard give them a small taste of what it was like where I grew up.
These apple brown butter blondies make a hard day spent picking apples totally worth it! The silky swirls of apple brown butter literally melt in your mouth with each bite. Unlike other gluten free baked goods which tend to dry out pretty rapidly, Pamela’s gluten free all purpose flour and bits of coarsely grated fresh apple folded in through this batter keep these sweet treats perfectly moist and luscious for days!!
I love them warmed a bit with a giant scoop of vanilla ice cream, Todd eats them like coffee cake for breakfast on his drive to work and the kids love these tucked in their lunch boxes. All in all, four thumbs up no matter which way you serve it!
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- ¼ cup apple butter
- 1 large egg
- ¾ cup (packed) light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅓ cup Pamela's gluten free all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for greasing pan
- 2¼ cups Pamela's gluten free all-purpose flour, plus more for flouring pan
- 1½ cups pecans, coarsely chopped
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1¾ cups (packed) dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup peeled, shredded fresh apple, grated on the large holes of a box grater
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cook butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring often, until butter foams, then browns, 5–8 minutes. Transfer brown butter to a medium bowl; let cool slightly. Add the apple butter, egg, brown sugar, vanilla, and salt and beat for about 3 minutes until silky smooth. Fold in the Pamela's gluten free all purpose flour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a 12x8x2 baking pan and dust with Pamela's gluten free all purpose flour. Toast the pecans on a baking sheet, tossing once, until golden and fragrant, 8–10 minutes. Let cool.
- Whisk the baking powder, salt, and 2¼ cups Pamela's gluten free all purpose flour in a medium bowl. Using an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat the dark brown sugar and 1 cup butter in a large bowl until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add eggs one at a time, beating between additions; mix until pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Mix in vanilla.
- Reduce speed to low and mix in dry ingredients. Fold in half of the pecans then scrape two-thirds of the batter into the prepared baking dish; smooth the top, pushing the batter to the edges. Alternate dropping dollops of the apple brown butter mixture and remaining batter on top. Smooth and sprinkle the remaining pecans over.
- Bake until the blondie is golden brown and firm (a tester will not come out clean), 45-50 minutes. Let cool before slicing. Serve with ice cream.