Hello, my name is Meg and I am a kale-a-holic.
Are you obsessed with kale too? I buy kale whenever I am at the farmer’s market and do my best to shove it into every meal possible at our house. I have created all sorts of kale dishes and shared them here on B&B like my Potato, Kale, and White Bean Hash and my “Cheesy” Kale Chip Popcorn . So, when my friend Julia of The Roasted Root contacted me recently and asked if I would be interested in sharing a review of her new book, Let Them Eat Kale!, I jumped at the chance. I mean, hello!! It’s all about kale.
Did you know that one cup of kale provides more than 100% of your daily value of vitamins A, C, and K? Kale is low in calories, but high in fiber, iron, omega-3 fatty acids, and antioxidants. Did I mention it’s delicious? Kale is one superfood you should really add to your diet if you haven’t already.
This book is packed with 75 recipes for every meal of the day (Note: not all of them are vegetarian)! Besides this salad there were a few other recipes that caught my eye and landed themselves on my “must-make list” like the Kale and White Bean Soup, Roasted Garlic Kale Hummus, and the Eggplant, Kale, and Chickpea Tacos with Charmoula Sauce.
So, check out the recipe then enter the giveaway at the bottom of the post! (The giveaway begins at 12:00 am PST August 20, 2014)Print
Southwest Baby Kale Salad with Cumin-Ginger-Sage Dressing & A Giveaway
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
For the salad
- 5 ounces baby kale
- 1/2 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup white corn kernels
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 stalk green onion, chopped
- 1 ripe avocado, diced
- 2 hard boiled eggs, chopped
For the dressing
- 1” piece of ginger, peeled and grated
- 5 cloves garlic, minced (I only used 2)
- 8 fresh sage leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup grapseed or olive oil
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
To prepare the salad
- Add the kale, black beans, corn, red bell pepper, green onion, avocado, and eggs in a large bowl and toss to combine.
To prepare the dressing
- Combine the ginger, garlic, sage, oil, vinegar’s, and cumin in a blender and blend until smooth. Serve alongside the salad.
Recipe published with permission from Julia Mueller and Skyhorse Publishing